1978 Cobra Engine Harness Routing Help

Vic1978

Dec 11, 2017
Hello, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a black 1978 King Cobra with a 302 and automatic. From what I can see, it's all stock. It's in rough condition and I'll slowly get into it. First thing I have done is removed the engine and sent it to get rebuilt. I cleaned up the engine bay and painted it a semi-gloss black.

While removing most of the hardware in the engine bay, I noticed the engine bay harness did not look right where it sat. It sat and was zip tied to the top frame area that runs next to the radiator, parallel to the firewall. So it goes from the firewall, along the passenger side to the front (where I lose sight of exactly where it goes) then around to the passenger side.

I have looked and researched for about two weeks now and cannot see where the wire harness runs after it comes from the driver side. After that, I haven't been able to see exactly where it goes and then reappears through a hole on the passenger side area.

I ordered a manual which I don't have yet hoping it will show me. Where does it "hide"? Can anyone help with telling me where it should be run through? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• Cobra1.jpg
    Cobra1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Cobra2.jpg
    Cobra2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Cobra3.jpg
    Cobra3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 334
  • Cobra4.jpg
    Cobra4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Sponsors (?)

Here's a pics of my King engine bay...does it help? The harness plugs into firewall near master cylinder, goes along drivers side inner fender, along upper rad support, along the passenger inner fender toward the starter relay and ends at the battery.

Attachments

• 13987401_10209636891949796_4485123616768389891_o.jpg
    13987401_10209636891949796_4485123616768389891_o.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 326
Here's a pics of my King engine bay...does it help? The harness plugs into firewall near master cylinder, goes along drivers side inner fender, along upper rad support, along the passenger inner fender toward the starter relay and ends at the battery.

Thank you for your help. When you say "along upper rad support", is that in the void area along the "upper rad support" that is covered by the radiator?

* That is a great looking engine compartment by the way.

A question for you on your valve covers. I have a set of AFR 165's with 1.6 roller rockers that I'm having installed on a rebuilt engine. Do you have something similar to my description? I'm wondering if those valve covers fit my application.

Last edited:
the harness is in the channel of the upper rad support. The rad is against it so you can;t see it. I have 1.6 Cobra roller rockers on my 95 GT 5.0 with AFR 165 heads, they fit under the stock valve cover which is lower than what I have on my King. So I don't see any issues with clearances

Attachments

• 331-4.JPG
    331-4.JPG
    595.5 KB · Views: 298
the harness is in the channel of the upper rad support. The rad is against it so you can;t see it. I have 1.6 Cobra roller rockers on my 95 GT 5.0 with AFR 165 heads, they fit under the stock valve cover which is lower than what I have on my King. So I don't see any issues with clearances

Perfect, thank you for your help.

Did you install your engine with the headers installed?