Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

Waay off on the horizon is the prospect of a re-paint for the Monster..I’ve found a colour in BMW’s current 2021 paint offerings that I just love.
It’s called “Bernina Grey w/ Amber effect”
We can call it Battleship grey, with Orange pearl.
I know it seems like a weird combo, but when you see it, it’s so freakin cool. Indirect light the color is grey, and only when lit up by the sun or some other lighting does the orange pearl show up..Probably stupid expensive to buy.
What the hell is it with BMW and gray?

On any other car in the world, gray or silver is the most boring of colors.

But there's a Donington Grey Metallic 2021 740 going through PDI in the bay next to mine, and I can't get over how the paint literally looks like it's liquid, like you could reach through it or that it would be wet if you touched it.

BMW does for grays and silvers what Lexus does with their blues and reds, and it's amazing.

I haven't seen a Bernina with amber effect yet, but after googling it, I kind of can't wait...

Allright, enough effing around on Stangnet for a bit, gotta go back to this boring ass Alpine White M550 that needs me to finish working on it's leaky R1234yf system.

• Sponsors (?)

sm3ovro7o7j41.jpg

I was going to say sweet baby jesus, can you just finish the car for at least 10 minutes. But then I saw this and need to go to my local Beemer dealer to see in person. This was the best pic on the net I could find. I'm a sucker for silvers and grays. I think this would look bad ass. So screw Christmas, just get out there and get to sanding!

• Agree
  • Clever
Reactions: 1 users
sm3ovro7o7j41.jpg

I was going to say sweet baby jesus, can you just finish the car for at least 10 minutes. But then I saw this and need to go to my local Beemer dealer to see in person. This was the best pic on the net I could find. I'm a sucker for silvers and grays. I think this would look bad ass. So screw Christmas, just get out there and get to sanding!
Thanks for that. ( I think). That's is a great shot of how the paint looks/works..

Harold. Geeze. Talk about a Mix....He's been Hoodwinked. Give 'em the boot. 'e did 'owever call the donk an engine, not a M'tor. Ello John Gotta A new M'tor.

One point. Two off for bonnet an boot.

Gwd!

It’s no surprise the part of the car covering the delicate mechanicals from the elements is named after headwear – and the split between the US version (hood) and the British one (bonnet) shows more similarity in thought than it does difference in name.

The first known reference to a car boot, so called, was in the magazine Autocar in 1908; by the early 1920s makers such as Vauxhall were advertising vehicles with them.

Ok,...
If I was a pirate, I’d have to find me a desert island to bury all me treasure.
Lets just say that I did OK by Kate this year.( As did she by me).
The list:
Earthquake 1/2 cordless 3/8 drive ratchet rated to 60 ft lbs of torque, (HF premium cordless brand).
Bauer 1/2” drive cordless impact wrench (HF midline brand).
GoPro hero 7 white. ( Just let me get comfortable in front of this camera, and capable with some editing software..It’ll be MikeTV..)
$100.00 HF gift card.
#1 son got me 4 Pittsburg breaker bars (2) 3/8”, (2) 1/2” in each size, one is fixed, one ratchets.( HF stuff..Can’t be any worse than the current Craftsman junk)
#2 son got me the HF bolt bin assortment that I’ll hang on the wall in an attempt to organize the disaster currently taking up waay too much space on my counter top.

HF, Summit, and Amazon...what else does a car guy need?

And...tomorrow is a day off....( what to do......what to do...) :thinking:

To say I’m blessed would be an understatement. In three days I mark my 35th year married to the hottie that is Kate...I have two sons, both who have turned out to be good people, productive citizens, and actually work, maintain their own bills, and live in their own houses..
Im healthy,..( At least I think I am)
When I started here as a Genius, I resisted going into sales for all the right reasons,..( Not wanting to wear the name tag that reads “ car salesman”, retail hours, the constant uphill climb to get to the end of the month, only to start all over again the very next day, No holidays, blah-blah-blah..) The fact that I was getting paid 45k to do the same job that the salespeople were supposed to do, but were making at least twice what I was helped to push me in that direction though.
Now, I regret not knowing about the opportunity decades ago. The lifestyle, the freedom, and the income has changed everything for me. I know it’s not typical..I know that there are other dealerships on this street that the whole situation would be 180 degrees different from ours...but that don’t matter...I’m here at this one.

This is not to brag...I know how lucky I am..( That’s why I’m writing this). At the same time, I had to start completely from scratch when I ended the self employment status I had for 15 years( on/off) and had to start looking for a job at 58..with no specific experience anywhere...100 responses to job applications got me exactly 1 job.. So....it’s not like I stepped into the family business or anything.

It is my end of year summation I guess...A ramble just the same..Glad to be where I am, looking for normalcy in the year to come, the end of the freakin virus, and hopeful that you all are equally happy and healthy, and that you may stay that way throughout this upcoming year.

Cheers.

• Clever
Reactions: 7 users
Cheers to you as well! In this unfortunate year, I have managed to contract and come through the virus unscathed, have been able to keep my livelihood (plus the “extraordinary service Covid pay”they added on), and in an otherwise :poo:year, come out on the other side ok. Hopefully most of us can say the same, and 2021 is much better!
I have to say that this thread, along with the many others here on Stangnet, always help me keep my mind off the daily grind. When I’m tired of reading all the bad news, I come hear and read about all the cool stuff going on! :cheers:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Cheers to you as well! In this unfortunate year, I have managed to contract and come through the virus unscathed,
The Rona :leghump:ing sucked. I'm on week four, and still blowing chunks of blood and goo out of my nose every morning. There was too solid days I had to sit on the toilet to fart, because it always had a friend. My heart rate is still up by about 10 beats/minute. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to pass my EKG in October. I'm back on the treadmill this week, and hopefully back on the bicycle by mid January.

My Christmas gift was to work almost 15 days straight. This year has not been great for me. By my calculation, if I do manage to pass a medical post Rona, I'm still out 4 years of career advancement and about $1.2 million in lifetime earnings.

Kurt

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Ok,...
If I was a pirate, I’d have to find me a desert island to bury all me treasure.
Lets just say that I did OK by Kate this year.( As did she by me).
The list:
Earthquake 1/2 cordless 3/8 drive ratchet rated to 60 ft lbs of torque, (HF premium cordless brand).
Bauer 1/2” drive cordless impact wrench (HF midline brand).
GoPro hero 7 white. ( Just let me get comfortable in front of this camera, and capable with some editing software..It’ll be MikeTV..)
$100.00 HF gift card.
#1 son got me 4 Pittsburg breaker bars (2) 3/8”, (2) 1/2” in each size, one is fixed, one ratchets.( HF stuff..Can’t be any worse than the current Craftsman junk)
#2 son got me the HF bolt bin assortment that I’ll hang on the wall in an attempt to organize the disaster currently taking up waay too much space on my counter top.

HF, Summit, and Amazon...what else does a car guy need?

And...tomorrow is a day off....( what to do......what to do...) :thinking:

To say I’m blessed would be an understatement. In three days I mark my 35th year married to the hottie that is Kate...I have two sons, both who have turned out to be good people, productive citizens, and actually work, maintain their own bills, and live in their own houses..
Im healthy,..( At least I think I am)
When I started here as a Genius, I resisted going into sales for all the right reasons,..( Not wanting to wear the name tag that reads “ car salesman”, retail hours, the constant uphill climb to get to the end of the month, only to start all over again the very next day, No holidays, blah-blah-blah..) The fact that I was getting paid 45k to do the same job that the salespeople were supposed to do, but were making at least twice what I was helped to push me in that direction though.
Now, I regret not knowing about the opportunity decades ago. The lifestyle, the freedom, and the income has changed everything for me. I know it’s not typical..I know that there are other dealerships on this street that the whole situation would be 180 degrees different from ours...but that don’t matter...I’m here at this one.

This is not to brag...I know how lucky I am..( That’s why I’m writing this). At the same time, I had to start completely from scratch when I ended the self employment status I had for 15 years( on/off) and had to start looking for a job at 58..with no specific experience anywhere...100 responses to job applications got me exactly 1 job.. So....it’s not like I stepped into the family business or anything.

It is my end of year summation I guess...A ramble just the same..Glad to be where I am, looking for normalcy in the year to come, the end of the freakin virus, and hopeful that you all are equally happy and healthy, and that you may stay that way throughout this upcoming year.

Cheers.
That's the type of self reflection I've been talking about. Good on you Mike, and cheers to recognizing good fortune.

• Informative
The Rona :leghump:ing sucked. I'm on week four, and still blowing chunks of blood and goo out of my nose every morning. There was too solid days I had to sit on the toilet to fart, because it always had a friend. My heart rate is still up by about 10 beats/minute. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to pass my EKG in October. I'm back on the treadmill this week, and hopefully back on the bicycle by mid January.

My Christmas gift was to work almost 15 days straight. This year has not been great for me. By my calculation, if I do manage to pass a medical post Rona, I'm still out 4 years of career advancement and about $1.2 million in lifetime earnings.

Kurt
Damn, man. Hope you get well soon! I had the worst headache of my life, lost taste and smell, and low grade fever. Felt like a bad case of the flu, but luckily never got into my chest. Slept pretty much 3/4 of every day, and out of work for 3 weeks!
2021 will be better!
....... sorry Mike.. carry on with the Monster thread!

• Clever
Damn, man. Hope you get well soon! I had the worst headache of my life, lost taste and smell, and low grade fever. Felt like a bad case of the flu, but luckily never got into my chest. Slept pretty much 3/4 of every day, and out of work for 3 weeks!
2021 will be better!
....... sorry Mike.. carry on with the Monster thread!
No kidding. Weirdest thing I have ever caught. There was never a single day that was anywhere near as bad as some of the hangovers I have had, but the damn thing just kept dragging on. The first 2 days were like my nose was completely blocked up with boogers. Couldn't clear my nose out with saline or anything. The next day I had a nasty sinus headache. Day 4 and 5 I was :poo:ting my brains out. I spent 30 hours straight on the toilet. Then it was just being snotty and tired for 3 weeks straight. Highest fever I ever got was just over 100 degrees, and I never lost my sense of smell. For about 2 weeks my morning coffee tasted like dirt. I was about to lose it at the family Christmas party when my sister in law said "It's just the flu." It was nothing like the flu.

Kurt

No kidding. Weirdest thing I have ever caught. There was never a single day that was anywhere near as bad as some of the hangovers I have had, but the damn thing just kept dragging on. The first 2 days were like my nose was completely blocked up with boogers. Couldn't clear my nose out with saline or anything. The next day I had a nasty sinus headache. Day 4 and 5 I was :poo:ting my brains out. I spent 30 hours straight on the toilet. Then it was just being snotty and tired for 3 weeks straight. Highest fever I ever got was just over 100 degrees, and I never lost my sense of smell. For about 2 weeks my morning coffee tasted like dirt. I was about to lose it at the family Christmas party when my sister in law said "It's just the flu." It was nothing like the flu.

Kurt
Yep.... I’ve had the flu and there was a distinct beginning and end. This just lingered and lingered. It was probably 6 weeks total before I felt like myself again.

That's your 'get it done' (aka self discipline and determination) attitude, even if it takes two or three times that has gotten you where you are and instilled in your sons, Kate spotted something about you that attracted her, lucky you.
Good on ya mate!

It’s Sunday, seems like a fitting time for a Sunday update.

( Im forced to sit here wanting a cup of coffee while Kate tries to sweep up spilled coffee grounds in the kitchen with a dumb assed Roomba. She’d have the mess cleaned up 10 times now had she just gotten out a broom and a dustpan,...but nope,...she just had to try out that future garage sale appliance. She wanted it,..I bought it for her. I’m guessing i’ll be sending it back.)

And To think..If she‘d just asked for a 1/2” Harbor freight cordless impact, she be so much more satisfied with that. If she had just asked for that, she‘d be able to snap her little arm right off in multiple places at a moments notice.

Instead, now she has something that crashes into sht, and then rages off in some other direction ignoring the actual mess until it gets stuck in the rug, or high centers itself on a table leg, and then bangs and clatters around until it frees itself.

Dumb assed thing.

I need to buy her our 35th anniversary gift. Today is really the only chance i’ll have to do that, unless I let my fingers do the shopping on Amazon, and can trust that it’ll be here in 2 days....:cautious: I’ll have to think about that.

I digress

The last thing I have to do to consider being done with the Monster is to make the splice in the exhaust. When I had it installed previously, it passed over a drop I put in the crossmember. There wasn’t really enough space between that and the floor, so consequently it jammed the exhaust against the floor.
This time I bought a section of .125” wall 3” tubing. I cut the crossmember up so that i can make the tubing part of the crossmember. ( It’s REALLY ugly now) Once I determine where to cut the exhaust, I’ll make a similar sized cut out of the thick wall stuff, weld Vband flanges on the thick section, bolt it all back together, then weld that thick wall section to the crossmember.

Reactions: 1 users