Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I actually got the answer to the question..

My converter guys tells me this morning.

“ Without any hub penetration into the crank, the likelihood that even the slightest misalignment can go-up exponentially, and that misalignment will usually cause a vibration at some point in the rpm band.”

There it is. There is the annoying vibration, and there is the fix.

I have a new flexplate that’ll be here on Thursday. it’s made of thicker steel, and the converter mount holes are farther outboard.
If I use it, it’ll force a redo of the converter, but now that it’s only that side, it should only cost 300 bucks.

Last night, I cut the 3/16” spacers off that I added to the feet of my converter. The converter now ( amazingly enough) protrudes through the flexplate into the rear of the crank by about 1/8”. (It only needs to be in there .100”) As a byproduct of that though, it will pull out of the front pump 3/16” ( .185”). I only want it out .100”
the math means that I need to add . 085” to the feet, and add .085 to the snout of the converter.
Or .065” on the feet, and I leave the converter pilot depth alone. And use the flex plate I’ve modified to fit the crank already.

Now....here’s the conversation with the 3 AMD tonight....( it’s writing on the wall....I just know it).

“Hey! You awake?....if we know what you have to do, and you can do it with what we got, and not have to send the converter off to be cut apart and modified.....Why not just leave stuff alone, and run with what we have.?”

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Mike, I as many are watching your thread, but dont have much to add past the more advanced/experienced members.

My feedback is as you mentioned the torque converter being the issue, and look forward to seeing the new revamped one back. Then we can see the true power of this beast, since we all know the power of that motor is there.

Nope..
20200621_174841.jpg

Blow the pic up as large as youd like...this is normal. I thought that the impeller hub had worn down because of the reduced area at the front pump. Turns out that is the way it was.

Going with what you have, and fixing it to make it work puts a big “I did it my way” feather in your cap. You’ve got a lot of those feathers already, but what is this one worth? I’d give it a shot, knowing you seem to be positive that’s the fix.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
And now that I’ve checked, there’s no risk that I’ll be awakened by the 3 AMD tonight trying to save the old config using the smaller flexplate over again. That fckr is bent. There is over .100” of run out.
Now I’m sure that I’m the one that bent it, When originally mocking the combo up, the converter bolt holes were too small, and when trying to get them to go into the flex plate.....I may have forced it “a little”.

So,...I’m forced to fix it using the flexplate that came on the engine originally, having the converter adapted to fit that flexplate. Now knowing that I won’t have to spend 3 k to fix it makes the whole removal process that much better.

Reactions: 5 users
End of Summer you say,..I’m thinking by mid july.

When the new flexplate gets here i’ll measure, and measure, to the point that i have checked the thing till i’m confident it’s right. then I’ll send the spacer, the flexplate, and the converter up to PTC for a redo. while that’s happening, i’ll attempt the pan fix.

I hope to hell that this is the fix.

Exhibit A

Reactions: 1 user
The pan is now off too...( i’m seriously gonna have to re-think using “ the right stuff” as a gasket maker...it is almost permanent once cured..)I’m actually afraid that i’ll bend something trying to pry it off.

But it too is now off....How to properly fix that thing will be my next task.

I’ll do that while waiting on transmission junk to get here. At my count, the oil pan is leaking in at least 4 places once i remove all of the JB weld repair failures...I’ll tell you one thing, that bitch ain’t going back on till it absolutely is submarine tight.

Before I can hope to move forward on the transmission, I’ll need my flexplate from JDM in Miami. It’s supposed to be in route hopefully be here by thursday, so that I can mock it up, make my measurements, and get the converter out on Friday. If i can do all of that, and they get it by first part of the week, I might be on track to have this all back together and in by mid month July.

I spoke to a tech guy at Brian Crower cams...A mild set of VVTI cams will cost me 720.00 ( it’s actually only one VVTI cam, the exhaust cam is the same as a non-VVTI exhaust cam). They are not so large (264 adv dur) that I’ll be forced to change out the springs, and will potentially yield another 50 hp...The other perk,....the more important reason for the cam upgrade is they’ll help to eliminate turbo lag. Which at the present time....I have a butt load of.
Ive been arguing with myself over this mod...Now that i can stand so close to the engine, there’ll never be a better time to add these things...and in the grand scheme of things ( If the converter mod only costs 300.00 bucks as expected)
is a fraction of what I was expecting to have to spend to swap out the transmission.

I can tell I won’t have to keep talking to myself too much longer to justify that purchase.

Reactions: 3 users
The pan is now off too...( i’m seriously gonna have to re-think using “ the right stuff” as a gasket maker...it is almost permanent once cured..)I’m actually afraid that i’ll bend something trying to pry it off.

But it too is now off....How to properly fix that thing will be my next task.

I’ll do that while waiting on transmission junk to get here. At my count, the oil pan is leaking in at least 4 places once i remove all of the JB weld repair failures...I’ll tell you one thing, that bitch ain’t going back on till it absolutely is submarine tight.

Before I can hope to move forward on the transmission, I’ll need my flexplate from JDM in Miami. It’s supposed to be in route hopefully be here by thursday, so that I can mock it up, make my measurements, and get the converter out on Friday. If i can do all of that, and they get it by first part of the week, I might be on track to have this all back together and in by mid month July.

I spoke to a tech guy at Brian Crower cams...A mild set of VVTI cams will cost me 720.00 ( it’s actually only one VVTI cam, the exhaust cam is the same as a non-VVTI exhaust cam). They are not so large (264 adv dur) that I’ll be forced to change out the springs, and will potentially yield another 50 hp...The other perk,....the more important reason for the cam upgrade is they’ll help to eliminate turbo lag. Which at the present time....I have a butt load of.
Ive been arguing with myself over this mod...Now that i can stand so close to the engine, there’ll never be a better time to add these things...and in the grand scheme of things ( If the converter mod only costs 300.00 bucks as expected)
is a fraction of what I was expecting to have to spend to swap out the transmission.

I can tell I won’t have to keep talking to myself too much longer to justify that purchase.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll still wake up at 3am thinking about something... car, house, work.... How dare we get a solid nights sleep!

Trump attempted a rally the other night. I hope you're more in touch with reality and actually succeed in your endeavor.

There's poking the bear unnecessarily and there's just saying dumb :poo: for the sake of doing it. I will remind you kindly that, that is my job and also sketch you a little site map to the SW. :O_o:

I drew it backward so you can find it when you shave. :)

There's poking the bear unnecessarily and there's just saying dumb :poo: for the sake of doing it. I will remind you kindly that, that is my job and also sketch you a little site map to the SW. :O_o:

I drew it backward so you can find it when you shave. :)
No need for the hand slap Noobz...I welcome the warm and fuzzy I get that comes from knowing that there are at least a few here that don’t bury their head in the sand, and can call a nut job a nut job when they see one.

Maybe i’ll go off on a one page rant about how hard it is to walk down an inclined ramp next time.

A wise man once told me don’t discuss politics or religion with friends and family. We should abide by that in this site....... there’s plenty other sites where that can be fought about!

No need for the hand slap Noobz...I welcome the warm and fuzzy I get that comes from knowing that there are at least a few here that don’t bury their head in the sand, and can call a nut job a nut job when they see one.

I get it but we have a place for it. I for one, don't care to see this thread tread that road anymore. I'm good with letting all the palace imbeciles argue amongst themselves. It reminds me of, "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and has exceeded all expectations of ridiculousness. I can not, however, say that I don't enjoy the memes. :shrug:

This entire thing right now is a nut job. I keep thinking I'll wake up and there will be intelligent people in the House, Senate, and running the country. And Mike will have sent me burnout videos asking for his new tires.

This entire thing right now is a nut job. I keep thinking I'll wake up and there will be intelligent people in the House, Senate, and running the country. And Mike will have sent me burnout videos asking for his new tires.

Well,....I just did what I could to give the engine 50 more HP, and get the turbo into boost quicker.

300/GS300-2JZGE Camshafts - Stage 2 - 264 Spec1$669.99
Scroll for more items
Cost summary
DescriptionPrice
Subtotal$669.99
ShippingFree
TotalUSD $669.99

Hopefully this’ll help to bring the rear tires to a medium boil.

Reactions: 2 users
A little sanity creeps in.

1. Correct torque converter engagement.
2. No oil leaks to help cheat the burnouts (especially uncommanded ones at speed on the highway)
3. A more manly or Monsterly exhaust note.

On a side note, I thought $699 for the cam, HLA's, and roller rockers for the 2.3 was high. Is that JUST the cam for $699? Holy Godzilla dollars Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.