Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Mike I'm glad pulling the engine for a refresh is on the agenda because isn't it a pretty good idea to have a catchcan/breather system on a boosted setup anyway? So if the your Mike-made catchcan works it'll be an added bonus to the refreshed engine(motors are electric). If it doesn't work, you can just go buy one that we KNOW works.:eek:

• Sponsors (?)

It will work. If not this time.. the third will be the charm.

Or...is this the third ?

Let's see.....
  1. Exhaust evacuation system
  2. Breather from valve cover
  3. Big honkin' Monster nostrils
Yup....third time is the charm...

Unless I screwed up the count somewhere....I'm still confused from helping my son with his common core math :scratch:

Reactions: 1 user
It will work. If not this time.. the third will be the charm.

Or...is this the third ?

Let's see.....
  1. Exhaust evacuation system
  2. Breather from valve cover
  3. Big honkin' Monster nostrils
Yup....third time is the charm...

Unless I screwed up the count somewhere....I'm still confused from helping my son with his common core math :scratch:
This is #4.

#1. Original single -12 puke tank under fender. emits ghostly "waft" that looks like engine fire coming out from back of driver side fender. Real pain in the ass to drain,..fills up with oil.
#2. Home Depot sourced home made catch can/ with vapors purged to home made Vac-u-pan system plumbed into exhaust.
Oil leaks everywhere tells me that pressure is pushing past rear main seal. exhaust is absolutely ineffective at creating negative pressure. System is scrapped.
#3. Dual valve cover breather filters. Initially seem to work, but long sustained pulls in boost, or excessive high rpm spews oil out rear breather.

Oh,...The G nostrils have nothing to do with crankcase evacuation,...they have everything to do with letting air, and rain into the engine compartment though...

Reactions: 1 users
He doesn't need a C PAP...he needs a C NAP. Continuous Negative Air Pressure. By Jove, I've got it. Get a ROOMBA and build a little house to hold it in the fender well. You'll need the special edition oil and solvent proof edition. When the car is running, the Roomba is your evac system. When the car stops, program the Roomba to come out and vacuum up all the oil blow by on the engine. You could probably swap one of the brushes for a microfiber buffer and keep your underhood area spic and span

If you have a cat, it will love it too!

20130626-roomba-cats-close-encounters-hero.jpg

I see an FE water header tank emulator, and Ilike it. May it catch airbourne splots of blowback like like a prison wardens face catches moonpies....
It does look like that thing now that you mention it. (except water from the cooling system in it would be a bad thing).
It's a turbocharged engine that will need some sort of positive pressure relief anyway. If the thing manages to keep oil from getting to the breathers it'll stay even after the re ring.

I'm sure that itll be one more little quirk that I'll get to talk about at the Saturday night cruise-ins anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Took one step towards a tear down today.

But what a freakin amazing step it was.

When I had the gasket built by Cometic in June of 2015, I sent them the piece of crap copper gasket to use as a template. At that time, I asked if they could build me a MLS gasket for the thing, and they told me they could not. They did not have the tooling. I had to take a stock style composite replacement as my only option.

That was then.

I called on a lark this morning to check what the replacement was gonna cost so that I could set aside the necessary funds when the time came to tear into the engine. The customer svc person I talked to told me 115.00.

"I thought it was supposed to be 75.00 ea. from now on?" I asked her. She said "nope, 114.73 is what we sell that gasket for."

I asked her if I still only had that only gasket material as an option, and she switched me back to tech.

I end up with the same guy that built my original gasket for me. I tell him that Cometic AU lists an MLS gasket for my head, and was wondering if he could build me one here in the US.

He looks.

How big is your bore?
3.700"
How thick do you want it? .040, .060, or .080?
My current version is .040 I think,...Do you think I'll have push rod length issues if I go .060? How much compression will I drop if I go to a .060?
Yes, your current gasket is .040, hard to say definitively until you check, andddd almost a half point.

Yeah,..we can do it.

Whaaattt? You CAN build me a MLS gasket to fit my morphadite version with the extra holes rearranged in the locations they need to be?

Yep.

How much?

Well they list at 175.00, but because you missed the window in 2015, I'll sell it to you for 122.00

What " window"? I ask...Dude says, we started building this gasket in an MLS version 4 months after you ordered the custom one...the application is for an Aussie falcon XD. Yours is only slightly different.
So,...I'll give you the good guy discount because of that,.,and,... you're a returning customer.
Who'd a thunk it.......an MLS gasket to fit the monster for 7 bucks more than the composite one woulda cost me.

I ordered it. They'll ship it Friday.

Nowww....let's just hope the wife don't see it till after the middle of the month.

Reactions: 4 users
Well the evac-u- peen is about finished.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I gotta do something about the mis matched hose ends, but for now in test mode they'll have to do pig.
Obviously, I still have to drill a couple of holes, and bolt the thing to the top of the radiator as indicated, and the valve cover is still gonna need a goop gasket, but this project now moves to beta.

But it's cold, wet, and bleary outside....not the kinda weather I'm gonna go out in and stand on a boosted throttle.

Nice! It looks like it belongs there, Mike! I hope it works as good as my catchcan/breather does. When I put mine on it felt like the car picked up about 75hp. Its amazing how much power oil in places oil ain't supposed to be kills horsepower. :eek:

I'll take a slap in the face, but what's up with multicolor AN fittings? Surely in your collection of stuff, you have 2 more black ones? Could have added them to your order to spread your shipping out to make you feel better about what you had to ship express! :fight:

I'll take a slap in the face, but what's up with multicolor AN fittings? Surely in your collection of stuff, you have 2 more black ones? Could have added them to your order to spread your shipping out to make you feel better about what you had to ship express! :fight:

Look back at my last comments Droop. Said something about having to deal with the mis-matched fittings...

Now,...

Go slap yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.