Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

i own the exxon valdez, mike just had a recurring environmental incident.
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that at one time or another, a lot of folks could lay claim to owning a car with an engine that left an oily mess everywhere..
This vid is from a friend making a first attempt at listing pics on YouTube using all of the pics he'd taken over the years of my junky cars. He's taken a bunch of redundant pics admittedly, but it spans the time it took to build 4 of the 7 race cars I built in the late 90''s-early mid 2000's. It takes a minute to watch, but at the end you'll see it................it's on a license plate.

The " friends" I had put that on the plate that was on the back of the white and purple car because it wheelstanded so high, it scared the sht out of me,....and every single time it did.......I smashed the pan on the track and oiled it down for everybody.

That was 2003....

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in love with stric 'nine
And seven Zees, you been nappin.

Oh my. Thats some kinda hoochy chhookhy hair dryer and throttle body.

GKT.......One wakachangi heading your way
46681c644bb8bb3f17d6e664529a~mv2_d_2887_2765_s_4_2.jpg

No extra music. This is awesome CMA. Still Life construction with Metal-LICA

Last edited:
Tonight I had to force myself to go downstairs and do the stupid sht that I gotta do...
The engine oil cooler needs to be by passed till I get around to buying a new one...this one leaks.

But I managed..I cobbled together the stuff to make a bypass hose, and took it out of the circuit.
20190702_210505_zps1c33m6u8.jpg

Knowing what I know about me, this will stay this way for a long time...the engine doesn't get hot enough to warrant a cooler..and it's a pita to change,...so...
I put the car stereo back in place and buttoned up the dash..the car is ready to drive..

All except the fact that it doesn't spray the water meth under boost,......and it needs about 5 degrees more timing at least...
It's back in business

The monster proves again that the crazy guy that came to the big car show with a 78 maverick with a 100k mi. 250 I6, who then drained all of the water out of the engine, and jammed a baseball bat between the front of the seat and the gas pedal, and then walked away........................

Had to remove the bat, so he could drive that junk back home.

Steve stopped by this afternoon to try and help me get the tune right enough to start stepping up boost. Since changing over to the ms3x some things changed...it took a minute to get the water meth working properly...and consequently, the engine got rattled...several times. After that several passes were made....but the thing would only get to slightly north of 5psi.

Once we figured that out, and got the car running good enough, it was time to turn on the EBC.
Which didn't work.

I pulled over so I could stand by the EBC, to determine if it was clicking...it wasn't. We attempted to check the various outputs....nothing.

I give up,..tell Steve that I'll have to figure out what's going on,..and turn the car around to take the car back home, so I can jam Steve back into the phone line so he could get on with his day...( that's how he came to my house,..only made sense to send him back that way too)
No sooner did I start driving, I hear him yell MIKE, MIKE, MIKE...PULL OVER AND SHUT THE CAR OFF, YOUR WATER TEMP IS SPIKING!!!
I shut the car off and coast to the curb,...the water temp gauge was buried....I can hear the popping and banging of super hot water trapped in the parts of the engine...We had accidentally turned off the water pump.

Steve gets into the tune,..finds the pump output and turns it on..the cooling system has lost a gallon of water, and it'll only drop to about 200.. Fortunately, my house was a couple of blocks away.

I get it home...I put a fan on the radiator. Steve finds the output for the EBC we test it..it works.

When the engine is cool enough, I add the one gallon of coolant that must've puked out..I adjust the valves for the first time since putting the engine back in...a few need the lash tightened.

I put the valve cover back on,..and start it...it runs like it always has...a testament to the refuse to die, can't blow it up Ford Falcon Six.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
This'll be one of those off the rails updates that I write that will get little if any of the intended result. Since its my thread on my borrowed soapbox I guess this is the only place I can make a statement that won't get the thread locked.
Speaking of that...
I watched another thread get locked that I came into this week and stirred up. As usual, it seems that i'm the only one here that gets a bug in my ass when some noob comes in, introduces himself, makes a stated plan post that literally says " I'm gonna do something stupid....or possibly dangerous" and everybody is supposed to handle the new guy with kid gloves to risk offending the new member.

I've also watched the standard evolution of that same thread when I don't get involved in it. It'll sputter and cough because there never was any real "gas" to the thread in the first place,..and it'll just die. Some of the new(er) guys will come on ( and gen car theif of course ;)) throw out the standard " looks good, good start, post up some pics" attaboys, and that's about it. Whatever happens after that to the guy, or his project.....who freakin knows?

A fox forum is getting to be a classic forum. The cars simply aren't sitting in CL ads in every city on any given day of the week like they used to be. The days of the clean gutted out notch shell for $350.00 are gone. The majority of guys who own these things aren't 20 somethings...the majority are more like 30-40. Sure, there are the exceptions at both ends and it's more common at the later end than the converse, but the meat and taters of the ownership average age is in the middle.

And having been there already, age 30-40 has a whole bunch of other priorities in life as opposed to a car. And I get it when just trying to keep the car becomes the priority over being able to do a full on resto-mod.

So, when a new member pops in who clearly is defying the odds, and turns out to be on the younger end, and starts off by asking the same " I can't be bothered to look first" questions, you now gotta ask yourself...Do I answer this question for the 7 zillionth time, Or,...do I ignore the question and let a newer member field it.

How many people answer,..and how many people ignore it? And if you just ignore it...how long before it just dies off anyway?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I count about a dozen still participating members in talk that are trustworthy in the advice they give. Add another 6 new(ers) that may, or may not know what the hell they're talking about. That makes it about 18 total if that much. There are a different few that frequent the tech forums that add to that.

Then there's 6-8 regulars that never leave the off topic area......Seems strange to me,...I know that every person that I'm talking about here frequents that place as well. ( considering this is an " off topic" rant........ :shrug: )

Some guy told me that i was more or less expecting too much from the other build/progress threads given the scope of my personal build....

Uhh two things...

What other build/progress threads?
And this.....
When you go to an auto show, do you go to see the average build, or do you go to see the shop builds?

I never liked the chromed out super builds that rotated on a platform, but I take inspiration from the Chip Fooses of the world..if you look at the same-ole, same-ole, youll never learn anything new from someone else when they do something different.

So that brings me around to the bottom line.

I'll leave the noobs to you guys. If you guys wanna answer the same freakin questions over and over, have at it. At the same time however, be mindful of the fact that when it comes time for you to post the progress of your individual cars, and nobody says dick about anything you've done,.....it's because the only people that still frequent the place are all up at the squeaky wheel exchanging funny picture threads,

Or it's.....the remaining few don't care,...or more likely,......

Because the guy that put the spool in his street car doesn't have it anymore because he wrecked it.

It turns out that the guy that claimed he had a 15k build SN 95 going on never actually had a car in the first place.

And they both are now frequenting the Nissan forums.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Geez mike, you picking on me again? :jester:
i too get tired of the repetitive posts, but where else are they going to go to get sound advice? Facepage? Yeah right! I see my job here at Stangnet as a cheerleader/traffic cop, I post advice when I feel I can contribute to the post as accurately as I can, sometimes I am way off base but that is where guys like you come to my rescue with spelling/grammer and technical corrections. I have learned a ton hang'n here, it is the only place I have a 'social media presence '.
as for your interaction or more accurately reaction to what some post here, while being sound advice, is delivered in a 'been there done that and now I know better' way that is not taken well with most youth in todays society, I know this because I have grandchildren that have, well, to put it nicely, parents that did not instill the better decision making guidelines life requires and when it is pointed out that something is a bad decision they balk and go about their f'd up daily lives and think I am a jerk. I just sit back now and watch the train wreck.
In forums we likely never see the train wreck.
Some advice is wasted on people, some not.
The advice you gave is very sound, they just didn't appreciate the delivery, or they didn't get the advice they wanted.
I would build a small bodied car with a big block, cheater slicks, zoomy headers and skinny tires on the front and drive that thing every day.
But not with a spool.

Geez mike, you picking on me again? :jester:
i too get tired of the repetitive posts, but where else are they going to go to get sound advice? Facepage? Yeah right! I see my job here at Stangnet as a cheerleader/traffic cop, I post advice when I feel I can contribute to the post as accurately as I can, sometimes I am way off base but that is where guys like you come to my rescue with spelling/grammer and technical corrections. I have learned a ton hang'n here, it is the only place I have a 'social media presence '.
as for your interaction or more accurately reaction to what some post here, while being sound advice, is delivered in a 'been there done that and now I know better' way that is not taken well with most youth in todays society, I know this because I have grandchildren that have, well, to put it nicely, parents that did not instill the better decision making guidelines life requires and when it is pointed out that something is a bad decision they balk and go about their f'd up daily lives and think I am a jerk. I just sit back now and watch the train wreck.
In forums we likely never see the train wreck.
Some advice is wasted on people, some not.
The advice you gave is very sound, they just didn't appreciate the delivery, or they didn't get the advice they wanted.
I would build a small bodied car with a big block, cheater slicks, zoomy headers and skinny tires on the front and drive that thing every day.
But not with a spool.
It was more of a generic rant than a pointed one. The ones that call me out in the other threads for being a blue meanie will never look in on this one, and even if they did, quickly move on past when they see the "update" is a rant.
Much like FB, people want to make a their comments and move on..no conversation regarding that comment other than the typical one liners that follow.
It floors me that the "preferred response" to stupid statements is to ignore them.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.