Electrical 1983 glx v6 to efi 5.0

Ok guys I have been doing a lot of research and not really sure exactly what I should do or get to make the changes I want to make what I am trying to do is keep my original dash in my 83 but use the ecm and engine and harness from my wrecked 92 lx I have read that I can splice the newer harness into the old so that my gauges and stuff will work and I don’t wanna change my lights

Attachments

• 888EFD18-0162-416E-91D4-F1B109A208AE.png
    888EFD18-0162-416E-91D4-F1B109A208AE.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • D260ACDC-938F-41BD-81F3-42DF8D1EA6F4.jpeg
    D260ACDC-938F-41BD-81F3-42DF8D1EA6F4.jpeg
    867.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Sponsors (?)

Factory wiring diagrams will tell your everything you need to know. If you can follow a line with your finger, you'll get all your questions answered! Get one for each car......

1983 Mustang GLX V6 factory wiring diagram

1992 Mustang 5.0 factory wiring diagram

I just dropped an EFI 5.0 from a donor '93 Mustang into a '54 Customline and couldn't have done it without my factory wiring diagram! They're invaluable!

After you look at the wiring diagrams, I want to ask if you have thought about getting a Performer 302 intake and a 650 vac secondary carb? There’s a few other parts to switch, like the distributor. But if you are OK with carbs and not as good with wiring, it should be an easier swap.

Trans and brakes will all swap to the 83. I'd use the whole front k member and arms. The 83 is narrow. You may need the fuel tank from the 92 also. You will need the whole brake system. The transmission isn't electronic so it will swap no problem. You'll need a transmission kick down cable bracket for a carb.

Trans and brakes will all swap to the 83. I'd use the whole front k member and arms. The 83 is narrow. You may need the fuel tank from the 92 also. You will need the whole brake system. The transmission isn't electronic so it will swap no problem. You'll need a transmission kick down cable bracket for a carb.
I should be able to use bracket off the v6 carb I think I really appreciate the advice

I think I can use lockdown bracket off the v6 carb and hopefully all the fuel lines what about the mechanical fuel pump on the v6 can it be use on the newer 5.0 so I don’t have use an electric pump I really appreciate all your advice

You'd have to use a front cover with the fuel bump provision on the side. You'll need a camshaft eccentric and a 302 fuel pump push rod. The 3.8 v6 is a 302 missing 2 cylinders but I don't think the eccentric is the same or the pump. Could cross reference part numbers over on RockA. I wouldn't do a swap without replacing the fuel pump though. Cheating out isn't always the best way.

Be careful with the front engine bay harness to the dash. I put an 80 gage cluster in my 82 and it fried the cluster. The pinouts on the gage cluster end and the circuit boards are different. Put the 82 cluster back in and it worked fine.