1983 Mustang Gauge cluster swap need help!!

schneidey

Apr 13, 2003
hey guys i got a 1983 mustang gl retrofitted to a gt 5.0, i need the gauge cluster, well really the mast and plastic cover, all the early 80's stangs had the same cluster, im wondering if i can use the one im seeing on EBAY, its xactly the same but the thing im wondering is if it matters that the cluster came out of a 4 cylinder with a manual tranny? i mean gauges are gauges right they will work regardless?

is that going to matter?

thanks
schneidey

• Sponsors (?)

The gages and cluster stuff will physically bolt into most Mustangs from 79 to 85 as far as I know. I am familiar with 79, 80 and 82.

However, the wiring at the gages is not laid out the same, ie, the printed circuit and connector positions.

I put the 80 V8 gages in the 82, that was a straight 6, and ended up with the alt gage wire connected to the tach. It smoked the printed circuit.

All that said, the fix was to swap the 82 gages back in, keep the 82 under dash harness, and just plug the 80 engine bay harness into the 82 under dash harness. That way the correct wires from the engine and gages came to the correct connectors on the dash.

If doing the swap, you can also check the pin out of both harnesses and the dash you use, and swap the wires into the correct position on the harness side to mate with the correct connection on the printed circuit.

Otherwise, I believe all of the gages will interchange with no problems.