1984 Mustang Timing?

What is the timing needed for a 1984 Mustang 5.0 bored .30 over to a 306 w/ a 218/226 on a 110LSA w/ GT40 heads, Edlebrock Performer Intake Manifold, Pullies, Shorty headers, Catted H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, pullies, and a holley 650 carb? Need to dial it in for a buddy of mine before the track friday. Where should this thing go he wants it as accurate as possible, i can only get it so close by ear- maybe within 5°

• Sponsors (?)

02WS6Bird said:
What is the timing needed for a 1984 Mustang 5.0 bored .30 over to a 306 w/ a 218/226 on a 110LSA w/ GT40 heads, Edlebrock Performer Intake Manifold, Pullies, Shorty headers, Catted H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, pullies, and a holley 650 carb? Need to dial it in for a buddy of mine before the track friday. Where should this thing go he wants it as accurate as possible, i can only get it so close by ear- maybe within 5°

You want between 34 and 36 degrees total advance. Set it with the engine above the advance curve so you know you're at max advance and then let the initial fall whereever. If you can curve your distributor to get it in full by 2,500 rpm, that would also be a big plus. If this is a stock dist, it may require too much initial advance for the 34-36 total, if that's the case it'll be hard to start when the engine is hot and you'll have to either try to modify the distributor to get more degrees of advance or upgrade it to an MSD or other. I use the MSD distributors because they're so simple to set up and adjust.

For a full street car with vacuum advance, I would try 8 base timing, 20 to 26 more from the mechanical and a max of another 10 available from the vacuum.
My carbed 79 still has the stock vacuum stuff on it, and seems to run fine like that.

My carbed 82 has about 8 base timing, and the vacuum disconnected. I set the distributor up on the 13L slot of the mechanical weights and slots, for 26 mechanical, with the lightest springs in the Crane advance kit. This gives 34 total. Seems to run fine, on the street, on the motor on the track, and with a 100 shot on the track. I have iron GT40s, Edelbrock Perf RPM, a Holley 600 vac sec, and a C4 with a 2800 stall converter, and 4.10 gears. Maybe 9-1 compression max, and a Rhodes Lifters 270 deg cam, and Rhodes lifters, so it does idle well. Has run 12.93 all motor.