Engine 1986 5.0 AC delete / possible conversion question

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
My AC doesn’t work worth a s*@t. At this point I’d like to take everything off and just run a shorter belt. My question is, if at some point down the road I have the cash to get this conversion kit https://lmr.com/item/LRS-19703C-K/mustang-factory-style-r-134a-ac-coversion-1986-50l
do I need to replace the evaporator under the dash? The pic shows an evap in the kit, but the “what’s in the box” list does not list it.
If the kit does not come with it, can I use the original evaporator?

• Sponsors (?)

If your ac doesn't work now, I would not reuse any of the old stuff, especially if you are going to convert to R134. Also, I would not suggest yanking all the ac stuff off. Bypassing the ac compressor with a shorter belt won't change much. One of the best ways to kill a foxbody resale value in my opinion is to remove the AC.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I definitely agree about the resale with the AC, and that’s why I would hopefully do the conversion down the road. But before I spend $700 on that, there’s other stuff I need to get done.
Right now just trying to clean things up under the hood, and having it out of the way for a while wouldn’t be the worst thing.

If you open the system up and leave the evap open, you'll need to replace it down the road. Best bet is to just leave the system as is and replace it all when you upgrade.

No real reason to rip it off. It's maybe 30 lbs of weight and the pulley freewheels.

It shows the evap core as part of the kit, but doesn't list it. I say that's worth an email to thrm. A new evap is ~$50-60 on rockauto. I wouldn't reuse the old one

The AC system isn't that complex.
My guess with some research, some elbow grease and a few bucks you could fix it as is.

Removing the evaporator from the car and then the sealed box is pretty much a nightmare.

Keep in mind when I did my terminator swap, I left the fox evap in the box and had a friend weld the fittings from a newer evap onto the old one (while still in the box). Worked fine for years.

FWIW i have done a complete AC system in my 91 within the last 3 months, total cost was around $550 doing all of it myself using store brand parts with a 20% off coupon. The AC will darn near freeze you out of the car

Reactions: 1 user
I havnt looked into that yet, but with the prices of R12 off the charts, I didn’t even think it would be worth it.

Depends on how you look at it. R12 is going for about $30 a can on Ebay. I've seen a few cans sell for less. Figure you need 3 cans. That's $100. How much would it cost to fix and retrofit to 134a? To do it properly requires flushing or replacing certain components to get the mineral oil out. If you have a small leak on an R12 system, it might easier to fix and fix the leak and recharge with r12.

Gotta weight out the costs for both and then decide.

Even though you technically need a license to buy R12, I've yet to have anyone on ebay actually ask me for it even though I have it. They tend to just make you sign a waiver.

I honestly thought it was more than that. I see the numbers my job pays for it, but then again, that’s a lot more quantity.
I buy a lot of stuff on eBay, but never even thought to look for r12 there. Thx.

Depends on how you look at it. R12 is going for about $30 a can on Ebay. I've seen a few cans sell for less. Figure you need 3 cans. That's $100. How much would it cost to fix and retrofit to 134a? To do it properly requires flushing or replacing certain components to get the mineral oil out. If you have a small leak on an R12 system, it might easier to fix and fix the leak and recharge with r12.

Gotta weight out the costs for both and then decide.

Even though you technically need a license to buy R12, I've yet to have anyone on ebay actually ask me for it even though I have it. They tend to just make you sign a waiver.

I was actually certified for 608/609 years ago, but I’ve been out of that business for 20 years. I need to see if I can find a way to get my paperwork/ card. I’m pretty sure once your certified, its good for life?

I was actually certified for 608/609 years ago, but I’ve been out of that business for 20 years. I need to see if I can find a way to get my paperwork/ card. I’m pretty sure once your certified, its good for life?

Do you know where you got the license? Long time ago the EPA licenses used to be your SSN

Yes it's good for life, but you'll need to try and get a new card

https://www.epa.gov/section608/steps-replacing-lost-section-608-technician-certification-card

Do you know where you got the license? Long time ago the EPA licenses used to be your SSN

Yes it's good for life, but you'll need to try and get a new card

https://www.epa.gov/section608/steps-replacing-lost-section-608-technician-certification-card

My 609 was through MACS, but I dont remember who issued the 608. I worked hands on with a guy after college (economics degree never really did me any good, lol). All my training was through him, then signed up to take the test.

Last edited: