1986 converted to 5.0 runs like sh##

Halfpint

5 Year Member
Jul 3, 2017
Hi guys I'm looking for an answer to my problem that I'm dealing with. I just recently did a tune up on my 5.0 carbed engine. Plugs,wires cap and rotor. The motor will start and then rev to about 4 grand and die . I can feather the gas pedal and it usually revs again to about 4000 and it eventually dies. It will keep starting but it always does the same thing. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

By any chance, probably NOT related..... Fuel Filter? In any tune up this will be forgotten by most DIY first timers.
Apologies, I forgot to mention that I also replaced the fuel filter as well. Thank you for responding. I don’t hear any vacuum leaks but I can’t keep it running long enough to get out and listen either. I need to find a vacuum line diagram and see if I missed anything

that is what it sounds to me is that one of the vacuum lines isn't fully seated or was forgotten to be placed back on. Re-Trace all of them first, pull each one off and re seat it at both ends if possible, doing this lets you look at them to see if any of them need replaced due to age also.

And Welcome to the forums. Post a pic of the stang if possible, we love to look at other peoples rides