1987 Mustang inner tie rod replacment

btsclan

Feb 22, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have a big technical question about replacing the passenger inner tie rod on my 87 stang gt. I work at schucks auto parts in seattle washington and picked up a new end for my stang thinking it would be an easy replacment. I need help getting the roll pin out of the end of the inner tie rod end where it attaches to the steering gear assembly. I was given a ford tool number which I cant lookup and also said an easy out would work but hasnt. Also I tryed to use a pin punch but looks like the pin can only come back out and cant be pushed all the way through. SO has anyone of you guys had this problem or can suggest a way of getting that pin out? This is the first time I had to put my tools away without getting anything done on my stang, kinda pissed me off. So any help would be appriciated! Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

The one time I changed an inner tie rod end, I used a 1/8" drill bit and drilled out the pin. The replacement tie rod end didn't need the pin, It had locktite or something on the threads.

The two inner tie rod ends are usually what wears out, and at $45 each, it's better to get a replacement rack assembly since they are part of the package. The rack is about $100 + a $40 refundable core charge, which you get back when you return the old rack. Be sure to ask for the GT or high performance rack, it has fewer turns lock to lock than the standard rack.

Drill it out like jrichker said.Sometimes the rivet or roll pin is hard to access because it`s facing upwards but you can still loosen the end enough to get it in a easier position.

Make sure to use two wrenches.One to hold the flat gear teeth part on the rack shaft on the drivers side and the other to loosen/tighten the inner tie rod/s.