1988 LX 5.0 restoration questions

Good lord what are these bolts made from?
My Dremel doesn't touch them but will dissolve anything else I touch with it.
I have tried three die grinding bits and it just polishes them.

Beryllium Oxide and then titanium oxide drill time.
:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Fun games! I got the intake plate off by drilling out the torx screws. I destroyed 12 bits, like a fool I went back for more torx bits, this time the hardened ones.
At least Canadian Tire will give me my money back when I bust their tools.

Upper intake off. Hoping to pull that motor today.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions I tried them all.

IS this bad?
Passenger side, finally just got the motor out.
I think I can fix this,
Thoughts?

towers.jpg

That is bad. I've seen worse repaired though. That whole area needs to be redone. Those fuel lines are even more concerning. Rust is one thing.....fire is on a whole different level. You will need to pull the engine,, drop the k member, and remove the struts to get in there like you need to.

You need to go through your brake and fuel lines ASAP. That crack is concerning too.

That is bad. I've seen worse repaired though. That whole area needs to be redone. Those fuel lines are even more concerning. Rust is one thing.....fire is on a whole different level. You will need to pull the engine,, drop the k member, and remove the struts to get in there like you need to.

You need to go through your brake and fuel lines ASAP. That crack is concerning too.

Ha yup totally, most of the lines, brake and fuel, are like that. had a hell of a time getting the connectors separated.
They are coming out to be replaced with fresh.

I've got the motor out and the K-member is next.

I've also noticed that crack and have started investigations. I'm going to peel down the face and see what's next.

This car has done a lot of 'dukes of hazzard' style stuff back in the day so I would expect to find a few surprises like this.
I'm surprised the body has held out to the 'abuse' but not the oxidization. She's sat in uncontrolled environments for years. (sadly :()

rail.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Digging a little further.
Interesting there is an extra box in the space in the frame to K box.
Drivers side is going to be in similar shape....

I will hopefully get the gearbox out this weekend and check all the firewall/floor.
The passenger jam has an extra hole but otherwise fairly solid as the passenger door opens and closes well.
(drivers side against the wall for now will check later)
More to come.

found1.jpg

found2.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user