1990's Cobra or 1980's Corvette?

OK I will try posting this question here, and hopefully it will go better than when I posted it on the Corvette forum. All they did was rip on Mustangs, so I have not posted there since. :mad: :mad: Anyway, I love Mustangs and always will, but for even longer I have really liked Corvettes. I especially like the styling of the early 80's Stingray-style ones. Here's a good picture of one from e-bay..

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_pho_img2.cfm?img=http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/a/08/c7/6a/f7

So here's my deal. I hope to be out of college, and therefore out of debt before long, and I want another fun car. For about the same price range of $10,000 to $15,000, I can get a decent '94-'98 Mustang Cobra, OR an '82 Vette. I would NOT ditch my Mustang if I got the Vette! :nono: The old RED98 isn't going anywhere. So, the Cobra would have much more power and speed, and be more reliable, more modern, and more practical with the rear seat. But, the Vette has that low-slung styling that I looove.. :drool: :drool: :drool: and it is not nearly as common on the roads. Here in Oregon I very rarely see one from the early 80's. I am single with no kids, so I can get what I want. :nice: I just can't decide which.. what would you do? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I would say-get the VETTE it is a very well solid built car ( have you ever driven one-???) Even the early `80 s will blow you away from the 90`s COBRA........(Suspension and handling) maybe not as much HP(205) but still a better ride....Now if you can get a `84+ model you`d be getting a better Engine output etc.......

Good luck , oh and don`t think you gonna keep the V6 after you get the VETTE-You`ll Forget about it-TRUST ME :)

P.S. You say SINGLE , NO KIDS-STILL A SHOESALESMAN/ WHAT HAPPENED TO: " MARRIED WITH CHILDREN" :D

b52yellow said:
I would say-get the VETTE it is a very well solid built car ( have you ever driven one-???) Even the early `80 s will blow you away from the 90`s COBRA........(Suspension and handling) maybe not as much HP(205) but still a better ride....Now if you can get a `84+ model you`d be getting a better Engine output etc.......

Good luck , oh and don`t think you gonna keep the V6 after you get the VETTE-You`ll Forget about it-TRUST ME :)

P.S. You say SINGLE , NO KIDS-STILL A SHOESALESMAN/ WHAT HAPPENED TO: " MARRIED WITH CHILDREN" :D

Yeah no kidding, I gotta move to Chicago & pick up a redhead! :p

I have plans for my V6; I have not given up the dream of swapping in a V8. Ford sells the 2003-2004 Mach 1 crate engine for about $6500 on the Ford racing website. That's 305 hp, more than double what I have now. Even if/when I have my Vette, I'm not giving up on Mustangs. They are just too awesome. :flag: Oh and have I driven a Vette.. ONCE.. in the Army a buddy let me drive his '76; at the time I had my '88 5.0 and I remember thinking the power felt about the same as that. His car was stock.

vette,cmon man,although i cant wait till i can add a cobra to my mustang track record...Ive only mustangs so yah i would grab the cobra..But since you have a v6 get the vette,its not as common,more respectful

My Dad had a orange Stingray when I was growing up for about a year. Can't remember the specs on it. I got to drive it from time to time. Man that was a fun car to drive. Not much room on the inside, but that was not the purpose of driving it. If I could get my hands on one I would.

If it were me i would try to find a corvette that is kinda beat up and neads some TLC and nurture it back to health with a 454:) I have always thought it would be fun but am not near smart enough or have the time/money to do it.

Wow, so I'm not crazy for lusting after a Corvette.. no one has thrown cries of "TRAITOR!!" at me; that's good.. If I were lusting after a civic with an 8 inch tailpipe.... no, I can't even joke about that. You'll see Darth Vader elected president of the US before you see me lusting after a rice burner. Anyway, I'm about 90% sure my next car will be an '82 Corvette, and meanwhile I will continue to work on my Mustang. I want to keep mine, even though friends and family say "just get a V8, they're cheap now.." well, maybe, but often the cheap ones are beat to hell, loose and rattling and worn out. My car is solid, tight, well maintained, I know the history on it.. all it needs is more power. And more power it shall have.:nice:

.......just reminded me of AL BUNDY here : Always cherished his DODGE.......in this case the MUSTANG.....remembering the 999,999 miles episode and he was determined to do it again.......

All I can say is : GOOOOO BUNDYYYYYY,

Sorry, but most mid 80's Vettes are a electrical nightmare to own, especially ones that has been used/high mileage. I would not buy a C4 Vette that was made before say 1991. There is little quality in those. Even late C3's are kinda thrashy unless you find a garage queen.

Sorry, but most mid 80's Vettes are a electrical nightmare to own, especially ones that has been used/high mileage. I would not buy a C4 Vette that was made before say 1991. There is little quality in those. Even late C3's are kinda thrashy unless you find a garage queen.

:stupid: Especially, '84.

As for C3's, I never really like the look and it's totally hilarious to me that a 4-door A38 Pursuit package '78 Dodge Monaco/Plymouth Fury police car can outperform a Corvette of the same year.

C4's look better and are a great bargain right now. But as stated; stick to the '90's models.

I personally like the 1st and 2nd gen. Corvettes the best.

Why not look at a classic Mustang? Performance obviously won't be as good, but you don't have to worry about depreciation.:shrug: Plus, they're still fun to drive.

Perhaps.. you never know. I have at least a year to think about it; I don't want to make another car purchase until my credit card debt is paid way down from what it is now.. at least out of the 5-digit range! Why is it so high, you ask? Car maintenance, and college debt. Credit cards are the tools of satan himself. :mad: :mad:

Perhaps.. you never know. I have at least a year to think about it; I don't want to make another car purchase until my credit card debt is paid way down from what it is now.. at least out of the 5-digit range! Why is it so high, you ask? Car maintenance, and college debt. Credit cards are the tools of satan himself. :mad: :mad:

.....and you probably gonna be very happy when they give you a bigger limit-that`s what they want to SUCK you in even deeper-DON`t ACCEPT it just tell them not to raise your LIMIT....discipline if you will and you could be driving a GT 500 sooner then you know :)

Have you heard about the RULE OF 72 when saving your money ???
Probably not: That is 72 devided by the interest will tell you how long it will take for your money to double........
72/3%=24 yrs(extra good savings account-if the bank is nice and willing to )
72/6%=12 yrs(CD account)
72/12%=6 yrs (usually money market accounts)

So whatever you do don`t put your money in the bank-what they do is take YOUR money and put it in the 12%-so why not YOU do that and make the money yourself instead of them making money with your money-it`s that easy.....but nobody knows that especially in the poor neighborhoods where there is a TON of banks just waiting for suckers like US......and in the rich parts there is only a Bank or two TOPS-that`s because they already know where to invest their money........call me crazy but that is a FACT :)

LONG LIVE BUNDY-A SHOESALESMAN

I have heard of some of that.. also that if you are ever in the position to have the money to buy a car flat out with cash, don't do it. Invest that money, get financed on the car at zero percent, and make the payments with the interest you earn. Depending on how good you do, the car will either end up being free, or very low cost because the interest you earn will cover most of it. Some day I want to be able to try that and see if it really works.

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN SEASON 6 OUT ON DVD 12/19!!! :banana: :spot: :nice: