1991 Fox convertible shakes

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi All,
I have an issue with my 1991 Fox Convertible. It started shaking on a roadtrip to a meet. My friend noticed that the passenger side motor mount was broken. So I replaced that today n checked the driver side n all tightened to specs. Took it for a spin n still shakes like crazy. The engine is stock. Am I missing something? It never shakes like a Harley Davison motorcycle before. Forgot to mention that it shackles leaving a complete stop n when it shifts to second. Seems like something is easier loose or broken.

Attachments

• IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Sponsors (?)

I sounds like your hub and bearings are bad.

Jack the car up, grab hold of the tire top and bottom and try to "wiggle" it. If there's movement then pull it all apart and change the hub.

Reactions: 1 user
I sounds like your hub and
I sounds like your hub and bearings are bad.

Jack the car up, grab hold of the tire top and bottom and try to "wiggle" it. If there's movement then pull it all apart and change the hub.

bearings are bad.

WOW! Everything on car is new. O well. I will have to check tomorrow. Thank you! I appreciate the help. The light is done! Thank you on that too!

WOW! Everything on car is new. O well. I will have to check tomorrow. Thank you! I appreciate the help. The light is done! Thank you on that too!

It may have been torqued incorrectly if it's all new. Worth checking.... I don't recall off the top of my head, what the torque vales are but there's a seating torque and operating torque.

Reactions: 1 user
Does it shake while stationary?

It’s hard to tell from your post if this is an engine shake or driveline.
Yes, much more info needed...
Does is shake in neutral when you rev up the engine when you are stopped?
Does it shake when you are driving down the road and put the car in neutral and coast?
Does it shake when its only in gear and you are driving or when you start from a stop?

Does it shake when you are driving down the road and put the car in neutral and coast?
Does it shake when its only in gear and you are driving or when you start from a stop?
The cars shakes when parked, the shaking gets worse as I’m driving n the car is in first gear. Once the car shifts to 2nd the car still shakes but not as bad. Checked all cylinders n they are sparking.

Well. Well I found the problem. Broken balancer. Rubber is coming out the top. That’s what broke my motor mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_9752.jpeg
    IMG_9752.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: 1 users
This one is a good read with a lot of brands and varying opinions on them.

Just me but I’m not one to buy a crappy part just because it has a lifetime warranty that and the work to replace the balancer isn’t just swapping a radiator cap.

Get a good balancer like a power bond or better and call it done.