1991 Gt Trunk Latch Question.

Chad91gt

Mar 2, 2017
So my mustang trunk doesn't shut properly. It takes me a couple times of slamming it :poo: for the latch to catch. Even then it raddles when I'm driving and if I pull up on the trunk when latch is closed it will come up like a inch. But still will remain closed. Any ideas what needs to be done or what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the stud that the latch grabs to, there should be a white plastic bushing on the shaft, it works like a anti rattle. If it's not there you can get a replacement stud with the bushing at autozone or similar parts store.
You may need to replace the weatherstrip (rubber gasket) that seals the lid, if you lid has been removed it may need to be adjusted, check your hinges for slop, all these things can make a lid difficult to close.
You said trunk lid, is this coupe?

Look at the stud that the latch grabs to, there should be a white plastic bushing on the shaft, it works like a anti rattle. If it's not there you can get a replacement stud with the bushing.
You may need to replace the weatherstrip (rubber gasket) that seals the lid, if you lid has been removed it may need to be adjusted, check your hinges for slop, all these things can make a lid difficult to close.
You said trunk lid, is this coupe?
It's a gt.. So hatch back.. is what u said the same for a gt?

Problem with mine is plastic bushing wears out on latch pin. Older ones were one piece, newer ones you could disassemble and replace bushing. New pin available for about $25 I think. I'm cheap though, had some thin wall plastic tubing, split it and slipped over pin now works fine.