1993 Cobra ECM replacement Little Help please...

• Sponsors (?)

Stinger Pimp...or megasquirt 3. If you're not racing and just want reliable electronics the microsquirt or mspnp2 will work. There's an awesome tuner in this forum under @a91what . I run mspnp2 in my turbo car.

Stinger has a bunch of features that allows full customization of just about anything. Mspnp2 is plug and play and fits in the factory location and will run a bunch of stuff. Microsquirt is the baby of the bunch and will run a stock to mild car very well. They all are highly supported and are all mega squirt based.

I'm sure one of the other guys will come in soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome, first lets discuss what it is you expect out of the system... What functions are you looking for? is the car going to be forced induction or just NA? You can get lost in the sea of available functions so lets narrow down the list a bit.

Welcome, first lets discuss what it is you expect out of the system... What functions are you looking for? is the car going to be forced induction or just NA? You can get lost in the sea of available functions so lets narrow down the list a bit.

Thanks for wanting to help... I decided to go old school and carburetor it up... this way I can work on it, and it wont cost me a mint... if I go EFI... I need electrical work, new mass air, etc..... plus I am not a mechanic, just a driver... I don't have good guys that I trust in my area... only 1 dyno that I know of... nothing close to me..

Well I tune cars remotely all the time, all you would need is an internet connection.

The megasquirt system can be tuned many ways, it comes with a built in MAP sensor. You can tune it speed density [manifold pressure based], MAF [mass air], Alpha-N [throttle position only] or any mixture of these.... You can make any sensors work... for example, I am using a 90mm mass air sensor from a ford lightning because it was cheap [$50 on ebay] if you can run wires to it from the ECU it can be made to work as long as the MS unit has the available circuit, and if it does not its easy to add the needed circuit.

You can do anything with these systems I have tuned everything from basic NA 302 engines all the way to crazy turbo engines with ITB setups.

Here is a picture of my engine, this is tame compared to some of the stuff i have gotten to tune.
20180907_113919.jpg

That is a 306CID SBF with a JAG M112 Blower with EFI and coil pack ignition.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't go carb on a 93 Cobra. That's a big resale value hit. Your car your choice....but please reconsider.

I have everything stock bagged and labeled. I cracked the block of the original, but you can get one inexpensive.. They have date codes I believe.. .they are not VIN labeled.. Trust me... I think about that a lot... but I do have everything from my stock set up..... I don't ever plan on selling, but you never know... I've had the car for 15 years... My kids would kill me...

Well I tune cars remotely all the time, all you would need is an internet connection.

The megasquirt system can be tuned many ways, it comes with a built in MAP sensor. You can tune it speed density [manifold pressure based], MAF [mass air], Alpha-N [throttle position only] or any mixture of these.... You can make any sensors work... for example, I am using a 90mm mass air sensor from a ford lightning because it was cheap [$50 on ebay] if you can run wires to it from the ECU it can be made to work as long as the MS unit has the available circuit, and if it does not its easy to add the needed circuit.

You can do anything with these systems I have tuned everything from basic NA 302 engines all the way to crazy turbo engines with ITB setups.

Here is a picture of my engine, this is tame compared to some of the stuff i have gotten to tune.
20180907_113919.jpg

That is a 306CID SBF with a JAG M112 Blower with EFI and coil pack ignition.

Thank you for the suggestion and offer...

It's actually a bit expensive to put a carburetor on our cars. You've got to factor in the intake, carburetor, fuel pump, distributor, fuel lines, carburetor filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel hoses, throttle bracket, and labor. The tank will have to be dropped and wiring will have to be redone for alternator to work and the tach signal. Now, your beautiful cobra is 60 years behind the times.

With mspnp2 you literally plug it in the factory location, upload a tune file, and turn the key. It also gives you a way to monitor everything....and it automatically adjusts to temperature ranges instead of having to adjust the carburetor.

All the stock stuff could go back on top of a built bottom with a nice camshaft. None of the rest of the car would have to be touched. You could do this for around 1k. vs all the money to purchase stuff to go carbed. The resale stays higher...and driveability is better than stock. The MS will also allow adjustments for anything you may want to do in the future. Supercharger....no problem. Turbo no problem....LS engine....no problemn....Viper v10...no problem. It also can be easily moved to just about any car. Want to put a Ferrari motor in a model A....no problem.

Ultimately, it's your car...and your pocket.

20190226_131943.jpg

You'll need a wideband o2 sensor kit...mine was 150 from Innovate. It's an Innovate LC2.

93 cobra, last year for the that body style, + a cobra to boot.
EFI stuff is already there, + the addition of a ms you don't need to spend money on a dyno.
Your not killing the value of the car.
why go backwards? It's not the easy way, it will be harder that you think,
Oh, and that original block should have the vin stamped on it, the last six or eight I think.
It is your car after all but I hate to see someone devalue a car that is the last year special package. But again it's your car.
Google 93 cobras for sale and see what they are fetching stock or even mildly built vs a carb conversion that is not an all out drag car.

I think you guys are over thinking this.
It's a 347, most likely it won't exceed 30's (I've personally seen 477rwhp with 30's and a 347).
Get a pro m that is specifically for a 93 cobra and some 30lb injectors.

He's not the first guy on the planet to modify a 93 cobra.

It's actually a bit expensive to put a carburetor on our cars. You've got to factor in the intake, carburetor, fuel pump, distributor, fuel lines, carburetor filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel hoses, throttle bracket, and labor. The tank will have to be dropped and wiring will have to be redone for alternator to work and the tach signal. Now, your beautiful cobra is 60 years behind the times.

With mspnp2 you literally plug it in the factory location, upload a tune file, and turn the key. It also gives you a way to monitor everything....and it automatically adjusts to temperature ranges instead of having to adjust the carburetor.

All the stock stuff could go back on top of a built bottom with a nice camshaft. None of the rest of the car would have to be touched. You could do this for around 1k. vs all the money to purchase stuff to go carbed. The resale stays higher...and driveability is better than stock. The MS will also allow adjustments for anything you may want to do in the future. Supercharger....no problem. Turbo no problem....LS engine....no problemn....Viper v10...no problem. It also can be easily moved to just about any car. Want to put a Ferrari motor in a model A....no problem.

Ultimately, it's your car...and your pocket.

20190226_131943.jpg

You'll need a wideband o2 sensor kit...mine was 150 from Innovate. It's an Innovate LC2.

Thank you for all the info... I am going to look into this...

I think you guys are over thinking this.
It's a 347, most likely it won't exceed 30's (I've personally seen 477rwhp with 30's and a 347).
Get a pro m that is specifically for a 93 cobra and some 30lb injectors.

He's not the first guy on the planet to modify a 93 cobra.

I kinda agree. Nothing really preventing the stock ECM from being able to run that engine. Plenty of people do it.

Nothing against the aftermarket ECU as it does give you more control.

• Agree
A little food for thought, I just spied a post by Colin Comer, he is a panelist for Hagerty's valuation seminars, owns a classic automobile dealership and has several books on classics and Shelby cars.
he states the current value of the 93 cobra in #2 condition is around 30k and is a contender to be worth possibly 35k by 2024.
something more to think about.

A little food for thought, I just spied a post by Colin Comer, he is a panelist for Hagerty's valuation seminars, owns a classic automobile dealership and has several books on classics and Shelby cars.
he states the current value of the 93 cobra in #2 condition is around 30k and is a contender to be worth possibly 35k by 2024.
something more to think about.
I agree.
1993 was the only year for the Fox Body Cobra. I would consider getting it back to near stock.

• Agree