1993 Cobra ECM replacement Little Help please...

I'm not really opposed to modifying a 93 cobra if done well.
After all, how bored would we all be driving a stock car around with nothing to shop for on the internet and install.

I think it needs to be right and tasteful though.

Maybe a vortech only with low boost

An all Ford Racing parts bin build, gt40x heads, letter cam, extrude honed cobra intake (which works insanely good).

Even reworking the original parts with high end port work, I know that's a shocker coming from me since I think gt40 iron anything belongs in the scrap yard, but in the 93 cobra case I would make an exception.

Screwing with the computer system or even worse adding a carb is kinda senseless, not to mention expensive (with the carb being labor intensive and costly)

The right meter and injectors and the car should run as good as stock with a 347. Cheap, easy and almost idiot proof.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

A little food for thought, I just spied a post by Colin Comer, he is a panelist for Hagerty's valuation seminars, owns a classic automobile dealership and has several books on classics and Shelby cars.
he states the current value of the 93 cobra in #2 condition is around 30k and is a contender to be worth possibly 35k by 2024.
something more to think about.

thank you for the update... I do have all or my original parts and pieces... I upgraded my blower and blew up my original 302..... I can't go backwards speed wise.. so why not a 347?? I am going to research, but I believe the blocks are just date codes, not VIN stamped...

I am going to research, but I believe the blocks are just date codes, not VIN stamped...

It's really not widespread knowledge yet, but starting to become known that the rear of intake valley, you will find a partial VIN number. Some report not having this number here though, but hard to ascertain if their engines had ever been replaced as they were a few owners removed from original owner. Replacement engines obviously won't have this stamp. My '88 does has a partial VIN here

enginevin_800.jpg

Transmission also has a partial VIN stamped on it. I believe it's on the passenger side lower case. I don't have a pic, but I do have a case at home out of a 1990 that shows the partial VIN.

As far as I know, the rear axle does not have a partial VIN, but it does have a date code stamp on the tag.

I'm not really opposed to modifying a 93 cobra if done well.
After all, how bored would we all be driving a stock car around with nothing to shop for on the internet and install.

I think it needs to be right and tasteful though.

Maybe a vortech only with low boost

An all Ford Racing parts bin build, gt40x heads, letter cam, extrude honed cobra intake (which works insanely good).

Even reworking the original parts with high end port work, I know that's a shocker coming from me since I think gt40 iron anything belongs in the scrap yard, but in the 93 cobra case I would make an exception.

Screwing with the computer system or even worse adding a carb is kinda senseless, not to mention expensive (with the carb being labor intensive and costly)

The right meter and injectors and the car should run as good as stock with a 347. Cheap, easy and almost idiot proof.

I had a vortech.. I got greedy and upgraded my pully and injectors.. the clown who did my chip and tune screwed me... I blew a head gasket, and I have 4 cracks in my block... hence the reason for going with the 347... I have my car for so long, you need to reinvent it sometimes... I do have all my original stock parts and pieces if I ever decide to sell...

It's really not widespread knowledge yet, but starting to become known that the rear of intake valley, you will find a partial VIN number. Some report not having this number here though, but hard to ascertain if their engines had ever been replaced as they were a few owners removed from original owner. Replacement engines obviously won't have this stamp. My '88 does has a partial VIN here

enginevin_800.jpg

Transmission also has a partial VIN stamped on it. I believe it's on the passenger side lower case. I don't have a pic, but I do have a case at home out of a 1990 that shows the partial VIN.

As far as I know, the rear axle does not have a partial VIN, but it does have a date code stamp on the tag.

Thank you much for the info!!

And here's the location on the T5. Pass side on front mounting face. I personally yanked this trans from the original car it came in and checked the vin

IMG_3141.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

enginevin_800.jpg

my '90 had this as well on the block...