Fox 1993 GT Exterior Restoration

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 215073

Anyone know where to find the gaskets for the hardware on a factory sunroof? I don't need the hardware, all I need are the rubber gaskets that go between the hardware and the glass.

• Sponsors (?)

How hard is it to transfer original outside mirror glass to new housings?

The LMR mirrors look good, but I'm wondering if the "objects are closer" in the passenger side is just an engraving or if that mirror is actually convex.

I ordered a whole bunch of parts from LMR recently. I must say I have the best wife in the world, she told me to order everything I need and get the car fixed.

So I ordered:
-Headlights w/seals, hardware, and Perde Solar bulbs, clearance lights, and foglights w/LED bulbs
-LX tail lights w/hardware (though I do still like the cheese graters
-Sunroof hardware kit and weatherstrip (both)
-Rear spoiler install kit
-New 5.0L badges
-All new body weatherstrip
-Under hood seal at firewall
-New OEM hood prop latch
-OEM under hood light
-Cowl panel hardware kit
-Front and rear window trim clips
-Outside electric mirror assemblies
-Lock cylinder gaskets
-Radiator air deflector
-Rear hatch struts
And a few other odds and ends.

The sunroof is stripped down, painted, tinted, and the new weatherstrip is installed. The sunroof glass has some scratches in it. There is a company here that can polish glass so I'm going to see what they can do.
20201214_173445.jpg

20201214_173755.jpg

I put the 5.0 badges on, cleaned the smoke damage from the rear spoiler as best as I could. I think it turned out decent.
20201214_173639.jpg

20201214_173153.jpg

I also noticed I have some paint peeling already. This picture is under the windshield moulding on the top left area. I'm going to see about getting some black primer from a glass shop and applying it before touch up paint. There are a few areas that need touch up.
20201214_173929.jpg

So with that out of the way, can anyone tell me which side the rubber gaskets in the spoiler hardware kit install on? Do they go between the spoiler and body, or under the nut on the interior. The kit came with 12, there are 6 studs so I was maybe going to use all 12. 6 in between the spoiler and body and 6 between the retaining nuts and hatch.
20201214_175139.jpg

I would also like to know approximately where the torx screw in the headlight adjusters should be set at. Do I just center it in the headlight bracket, or is there an actual measurement?

It doesn't have a 5mm hex end to be able to adjust it once the headlights are installed. Top right in the picture.
20201214_175422.jpg

I did seal every seam on the lights with clear silicone per LMR instructions.

How hard is it to transfer original outside mirror glass to new housings?

The LMR mirrors look good, but I'm wondering if the "objects are closer" in the passenger side is just an engraving or if that mirror is actually convex.https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/power-mirror-rebuild.901292/

Reactions: 1 user
Very good info on the mirrors. I'll do those when I replace the run channel seals and weatherstrip since I have to pull the door panels. The Duplicator trim and bumper black paint looks to be the proper trim color and finish. I'll probably end up painting the mirrors as they are and not mess with swapping glass for now. The motors all work and the glass is in decent shape, but the housings are rough from melted tar and who knows what else stuck to them.

Hopefully I don't find any more missing fasteners, broken parts, etc. caused by that body shop. Everything they touched seems to be wrong in some way. So frustrating

I don’t see the Foxbody specific posts anywhere, but there are universal ones out there that may work?
1441EA82-24C3-4547-BB45-5EB4D427DE41.jpeg

Glad to see you getting everything done on the car!

I got all my parts today.

There are some issues, and I've talked to LMR about one of them already

The under hood to firewall seal was folded in half and stuffed in a box. It has a metal strip inside and it isn't straightening out very well. I've contacted LMR about this but haven't heard back yet.

The headlight seals that go around the headlights don't fit, they are too narrow by at least 1/4". Chinese parts... I'm going to return them and apply some rubber conditioner to the OEM ones.

The under hood light that I thought was OEM is a Chinese Daniel Carpenter part, and it flickers on and off when the hood is up. It also rattles and the original one doesn't. Anyone have an OEM one that is in good shape they would sell or donate?

The sunroof hardware kit is not an exact match, and the hardware is even different. I also think it needs to be more complete with all the screws necessary, not just the 2 that hold the latch in place.

I installed the sunroof glass a bit ago. The new weatherstrip pieces are TIGHT. It closed with some effort, and I'll leave it that way for a while. Hopefully they relax and loosen up.

Spoiler, headlights, foglights, and tail lights will go in this weekend and maybe I'll get to the body weatherstrip and hatch struts.

One other thing to add.

The outside passenger mirror is a convex piece of glass and the objects in mirror actually are closer than they appear. The housings are very shiny, but with some scotchbrite pad and a fresh coat of trim paint they will look great.

I spent some time in the garage today working on the car and it was productive.

I got the headlights, taillights, fog lights, hatch weatherstrip, hatch struts, firewall seal, and radiator air deflector installed. All exterior light bulbs were converted to LED except for turn signal and headlights. They look great lit up.

Tomorrow should be warmer so I'm going to try to get the new mirrors painted, rear window trim and the spoiler reinstalled.

Next to order are new door belt mouldings (I have the weatherstrips), hatch panel screws, and I just noticed that the anchors for the cargo net are missing :fuss:. I also need new hatch cargo cover brackets.

Depending what I find when I remove the door panels I'll probably need to order stuff for that area as well.

I got the outer door belt mouldings and window run channel weatherstrip removed along with the mirrors, amd door panels. Got the window frames repainted and stopped there.

The weatherstrip wasn't riveted to the doors, there are a few plastic discs that hold the mouldings on missing along with the rivets, and the driver mirror was barely holding on. They apparently lost the nuts and used some nyloc nuts that were the wrong size so only the nylon part was holding anything. I also found the original door lock cylinders in the bottom of the doors (I was told they lost them).

More parts are ordered like the inner door moisture barriers, new sound deadener, complete door hardware kits, and new mirror covers.

Before the doors were disassembled I washed the car and found the windshield leaks badly so that will have to be removed and hopefully reinstalled without breaking it.