Fox 1993 GT Exterior Restoration

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
I installed glass for 2 years with Safelite, and I was a top ranked tech in the country. The person that installed my windshield was clearly untrained. The urethane adhesive is sloppy, they used a round bead instead of a pointed or triangle bead, the glass is decked too low and is uneven, and the trim clips are now mostly encapsulated in the urethane.

The trim is already off since I repainted front and rear glass trim. I have new clips and cowl hardware ready for when the glass gets installed correctly. If I still had access to the tools and materials to properly install glass I would do it myself.

Seeing this type of work I'm going to make sure the quarter windows were sealed with butyl and not polyurethane windshield adhesive.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I installed glass for 2 years with Safelite, and I was a top ranked tech in the country. The person that installed my windshield was clearly untrained. The urethane adhesive is sloppy, they used a round bead instead of a pointed or triangle bead, the glass is decked too low and is uneven, and the trim clips are now mostly encapsulated in the urethane.

The trim is already off since I repainted front and rear glass trim. I have new clips and cowl hardware ready for when the glass gets installed correctly. If I still had access to the tools and materials to properly install glass I would do it myself.

Seeing this type of work I'm going to make sure the quarter windows were sealed with butyl and not polyurethane windshield adhesive.
I hope they didn’t urethane those quarter glasses in.

Reactions: 1 user
I spent a few hours today replacing the window run channel weatherstrip.

That was an experience to say the least. I watched several YouTube videos prior to the undertaking and some methods worked, some not so much.

I do hope they loosen up a bit over time, they are tight, and the window won't roll up into the channel completely yet.

I have a question.

Where the mirrors bolt to the doors the part of the weatherstrip on the outside continues until it gets to where the belt weatherstrip goes into the door. The mirrors press against the rubber and they can't sit flush against the door. Should I cut that small section out?

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

20210109_180139.jpg

20210109_180223.jpg

I got the windshield resealed earlier this week. It took my friend at Safelite 3 hours to complete the job. Needless to say it was a mess. The pinchweld wasn't prepped at all, the old butyl was left on the car and they ran the urethane bead over it. He managed to save the glass and now all is good up there.

Curiosity got me and I had to find out what they used to seal the quarter windows. You guessed it, they are bonded to the body now with urethane. That makes it virtually impossible to remove them without damaging the car, and they can't be removed without breaking them.

I'm still waiting on some parts to be able to finish the doors, but I'm close to finishing and being able to enjoy it.

Their accreditation has been suspended as of Jan 6, 2021 due to a lack of responding to the complaints. Not just mine but several others.

I got the windshield resealed earlier this week. It took my friend at Safelite 3 hours to complete the job. Needless to say it was a mess. The pinchweld wasn't prepped at all, the old butyl was left on the car and they ran the urethane bead over it. He managed to save the glass and now all is good up there.

Curiosity got me and I had to find out what they used to seal the quarter windows. You guessed it, they are bonded to the body now with urethane. That makes it virtually impossible to remove them without damaging the car, and they can't be removed without breaking them.

I'm still waiting on some parts to be able to finish the doors, but I'm close to finishing and being able to enjoy it.
Dumbasses. Why would they use urethane?

Well, losing their BBB accreditation spells trouble. (Not)
I would suggest finding out the others on the BBB list and contact them, you may have a class action or even a criminal situation.
Or you can let them continue to screw over people
But then I'm a trouble maker.

I don't know what to do now.

I had planned on getting a pair of original used ones rebuilt by Fox Resto and install them but now I'm not sure.

I am calling that shop today and asking for money back. Probably won't get anywhere.

I had the same issue with the run channel mouldings I installed last year. When I installed the mirror it would create a pinch point right there. I trimmed it.. not a lot though because I didn’t want to ruin the molding. It made it better but didn’t solve the issue.

I ended up trimming it as well. I do think I screwed up on the door belt weatherstrip to run channel fit. It doesn't look great, and I don't remember how they looked from the factory.

Silicone spray in the run channel helps a lot too. When I first did mine, the windows dragged and it seemed the motors didn't have enough power to push the windows up all the way. They would actually stop 1" down and not go any further.

I use some silicone spray and that helps a lot. Those run channels sucked to do though. Couple hours on he first one, but then once I found out the trick and used the spray, it was 15 mins to do the other side. Also helped to adjust the window and replace the bushings. Now the window rolls up and down so tightly.

I don't recall trimming anything near the mirror. I'll have to take a look.

Can you post a picture of your door belt weatherstrip to run channel weatherstrip joints? I'd like to see both sides.

I'm thinking I'll need to buy another set of run channels to get it right.

The car is all put back together now. I drove it around a bit and I have no more air leaks in the cabin.

I did find out that the passenger door won't open from the inside handle anymore. I have no idea what would cause this. I never messed with that part of the door. I even installed new sound deadener and vapor barriers. Now I have to remove the barrier again and get more panel clips.

So I'll be removing the door panel again and diagnosing the problem.

It will open eventually if I mess with it enough. I'm wondering if the rod from the handle to the latch somehow got bent, or if the inner handle itself is broken.

Is there an adjustment on that part of the latch?