1993 LX v8 swap

CStan17

Feb 25, 2019
Newnan, GA
Hey guys I'm new to the page! But I picked up my 93 LX this past weekend, originally it was a 4 cylinder car and later swapped to a v8 I picked it up as a roller with a 351W short block. I'm torn between building a 302 or the 351W. I have heard space wise the 351 could get a little crammed after the header are put on if you can get them on. This is going to be a commuter and a toy for me so I'm not looking to do anything too drastic to the car. Any help is appreciated as well as thoughts and opinions! Look forward to learning a lot with this car!

• Sponsors (?)

You may have a hood clearance issue, you'll need 351/fox headers, there is a kit out there for the swap, other than that I think there is no issues, google 351/fox swap and you'll likely see some from members here on stangnet.

I'd stay with the 351 as well. A lot stronger than the 302. What efi system are you planning on using ?

The 351 is a little tighter but the advantages out weigh the cons. You'll need decent heads and intake for the 351 to breathe. Swap headers, oil pan, pick up tube and you're just about set. I remember something about the flywheel too. It's been a long time since I did a 351 swap.

I was planning on just starting with the stock efi system if I can find one for a decent price Im on a budget with it so just getting it running is my number 1 priority. But what about the pulley system as well? Isn't there some deal with brackets and what not for the drive pulley systems

It's not the front of the engine bay...its the sides by the headers and strut towers.

You'll need to get an accessory mounting kit to bolt the ac compressor on.

I'd stay with the 351 as well. A lot stronger than the 302. What efi system are you planning on using ?

The 351 is a little tighter but the advantages out weigh the cons. You'll need decent heads and intake for the 351 to breathe. Swap headers, oil pan, pick up tube and you're just about set. I remember something about the flywheel too. It's been a long time since I did a 351 swap.
28oz

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, so I think what I'm going to do is start with a 302, build it mildly and the work on the 351 overtime so I can toss a little more money into it then just swap the motors down the road.

Reactions: 1 users