1995 Cobra Key Paradox

95Cobra5Oh

Oct 17, 2020
Ohio
Hi this is my first post so bear with me..

Recently acquired a 1995 Cobra Mustang. Came with one key doesn’t work with doors or trunk, only for ignition. But the ignition barrel doesn’t start the car I have to put it on the “on” position then use a push button someone installed in the console. My question is why would someone do this and how do I bring the car back to a factory style ignition? Do I just buy a new ignition barrel/key combo on eBay and new door barrels with keys? How do I bypass the whole button start? I also have a 1985 GT that was the same way has a ignition switch and push button on top of the original ignition barrel. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I believe the anti-theft was an option on 94-5 models, is there a theft light on when you turn the key to on?
Next to check would be the ignition switch under the dash, then check the clutch switch.

You can take the key lock out of the door and have a locksmith make a key for it fairly cheap.
Ok, since Massachusetts Mike responded with the key answer I'll change my answer, take the ignition key lock and the door lock to the locksmith to have the ignition key'd to match the door locks, least expensive method in my opinion.
A hundred dollar key set is inexpensive too!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user