1995 Gt 325k+ Miles Runs Great Rebuild?

Oldman95fiveohh

Jun 26, 2017
Okay so I have a 95 Gt 5.0 M5. The car runs great besides recently dying while going back to idle when clutch is in. But this car has a ton of mile on it my dad has drove it for past 10 years everyday 45miles round trip. The car has over 325k+ it stopped rolling over 3 years ago at 295k. We want to do H.C.I and I have a feeling we are going to run into more issues with a 27yr old engine. So I was tring to encourage him to rebuild and do H.C.I in the process. He just wants to enjoys a peppy strong car. He want to feel power like he does in my cammed G8. I looked into parts for all this and it seems reasonable around 4k to do it all ourself. But I was curious even though it seems we have a great block is there anything we should be concerned with so many miles on the block and doing a rebuild. This car is still drove everyday. Does not burn oil to my knowledge.

• Sponsors (?)

An HCI upgrade is for a healthy engine. A325k mi engine isn't healthy. It may run OK but with that many miles on the recip assy, I doubt that there is 100 pounds cold cranking compression.
Anytime you add power to anything, you make it work harder. When stuff has to work harder, tired parts fail. More power typically results in more heat, and the weakest link is gonna show itself shortly thereafter.

The cheapest most often recommended "upgrade" is to find a used engine out of an Explorer, and swap them. But if you truly have a 4 k budget, you should be able to rebuild your foundation w/ new stuff, and have a fresh engine instead.

Here's the rub....

You'd be better off with the JY swap on the engine, cause you're gonna need the remaining 3500.00 for the "rest of the story"

Not only does the engine have 325k on it, so does the poor ol' T5, and 8.8. You put fresh power to either of those, and you're gonna have gear oil on you at some point in your near future. It's a wonder the transmission hasn't just died of natural causes already. A bearing/seal in the rear is just waiting on you to add 300 ft'lb of torque back into the equation, and I'd be surprised if the suspension bushings aren't completely gone too. Rubber bushings don't last forever regardless of how well the car was kept,..just plan on that, and you wont have to spend endless hours replacing ancillary parts that gave up the ghost the first time somebody sidestepped the clutch.

Reactions: 1 user