Electrical 1998 Keyless Entry Unprogrammable. Theft Not Working

MilkyMan69

Sep 24, 2016
Hello, I am having trouble programming my key fobs and theft on my 98GT. I have tried the obvious check fuses, change batteries in the remote(s). Then the famous leave key in ignition, short the key-less entry plug, holding the paper clip in place I can hear the locks cycle once then they will cycle immediately and I'm talking about lightning fast. Not giving me any time to press a button on the fob in my other hand.

This is where I need help. When I was checking the fuses underneath the steering wheel there was no Theft Fuse and no Radio Fuse. However the previous owner put in an aftermarket JVC head unit from lets say 2006 and it works fine with or without a fuse... The other disturbing thing is the stereo can only be turned on/off manually, does not matter if the car is running, if it's getting keyed power, or if the car is off completely.

Now the fun part is when I put in that theft fuse. My car is turned off and the THEFT light is lit up like a Christmas tree on my dash no flashing at all just a solid light. Ten minutes past and the alarm goes off, so I start the car and pull the theft fuse, poof no more alarm going off.

I am thinking maybe the wiring harness in the head unit has something to do with these problems caused but I have no idea of what to do or try next.

• Sponsors (?)