Engine 1999 Mustang V6 / Engine is Tapping but Not Knocking goes away after 1 - 5 mins idling / Possible Oil Pump?

Hey guys i have an issue with my mustang this issue happened out of no where when i tried starting up my car like every other day, the engine is tapping but not knocking i had a mechanic look it at it and says its not a rod or a lifter, he said its most likely the oil pump but he has yet to open the engine up, i was wondering if this could be it , i highly doubt its anything MASSIVE. Does anyone know if theres additive that could fix the noise to maybe clean up the oil pumps or just fix the problem overall?

Things ive noticed to help
  • Ticks / Knocks when i start it up the first time
  • Leaving it idling takes about 1-5 mins for the sound to complelty go away
  • after the sounds goes away id say it takes an hour or 2 hours to do it again but heres where it gets intresting instead of the noise lasting per say 1-5 minutes it last tops 10-30 seconds then goes away
  • oil came out fine and no metal specs on the dip stick
  • it sometimes also goes away instantly after getting out of a parking lot tick lasts about 2-5 seconds then goes away instantly not even a distant ticking of the engine is heard so the sounds isnt staying it actually goes away
If anyone knows anything please help me out

• Sponsors (?)

If this were my car I would also get an oil filter cutter and cut the oil filter open to see what (if anything) is on the filter element. I do this as part of my routine maintenance. It has already saved me one motor.

Longacre Oil Filter Cutters 77750
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-77750/overview/

Note, for metal debris to be on the oil dip stick there would have to be a TON of it. Consider catching the oil in a CLEAN pan and inspect for metal debris.

Note2. I'm currently working on a motor rebuild where the oil filter was clean but when the oil was drained into a clean pan there were very tiny bits of metal debris. So I can give first hand experience that it does happen.

Next I would try 5W30 weight oil and see what (if any difference) this makes.

It's also possible to remove the oil pressure sender and add an external gauge. This will help find out what the oil pressure actually is.

If you are still looking for trouble shooting ideas, consider taking off the valve covers. Look for loose rockers and/or collapsed lifters.

If this were my car I would also get an oil filter cutter and cut the oil filter open to see what (if anything) is on the filter element. I do this as part of my routine maintenance. It has already saved me one motor.

Longacre Oil Filter Cutters 77750
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-77750/overview/

Note, for metal debris to be on the oil dip stick there would have to be a TON of it. Consider catching the oil in a CLEAN pan and inspect for metal debris.

Note2. I'm currently working on a motor rebuild where the oil filter was clean but when the oil was drained into a clean pan there were very tiny bits of metal debris. So I can give first hand experience that it does happen.

Next I would try 5W30 weight oil and see what (if any difference) this makes.

It's also possible to remove the oil pressure sender and add an external gauge. This will help find out what the oil pressure actually is.

If you are still looking for trouble shooting ideas, consider taking off the valve covers. Look for loose rockers and/or collapsed lifters.
Hey man thanks for the tips yeah I did get a oil change right after the noise happened it kinda fixed it but I did the no additive package so a basic oil change I talked the guy who changed my oil and said there were metal debris of any sort in the catch pan, as of right now overnight I started the car and heard no ticking at all like non not even for a second and this is 6 hours after I drove it