2 seater v 4

gstsaver

May 6, 2018
Australia
Hi - I am thinking of making my 87 GT Convertible a 2 seater to save on some costs in registering it here in Australia.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it will decrease the value of a Fox Body Mustang to do this ?

I can't really see anyone other than a child sitting in the back seat anyway but thought I see what you good people here have to say.

• Sponsors (?)

That just depends on what you mean by " two seater" I guess.
A typical rear seat delete is reversible most of the time, so I doubt it'd be too detrimental, but in moderation.

Now, on the other hand, make that a permanent roadster style conversion, and you better be real good with the fiberglass.

I'd always told myself that if I ever had a convertible ( which I'll never have) I'd make it into a roadster ala' 63 T bird.
Bird-i3.jpg

Depends on how it is done. There are clean ways to delete it, and not so clean ways. If you keep it reversible you probably won't have to worry about a value hit if you save the parts.

The McLaren Mustangs had a nice clean solution for rear seat deletes

1397995-38-extra-large.original.jpg

I believe that one could buy templates for these rear seat delete kits but can't see to find them anywhere. Anyone have one ? I know I can order one fairly cheap from American muscle etc. but shipping to Australia adds a lot to the price.
Mine is a 87 convertible ...so if anyone has a template for them I could like to buy it.

Well it sounds to me like a template is gonna cost way more money than any template will justify in time saved.

If I was gonna do this, I'd use 1/4" MDF and hot glue to make a base. MDF is shape able to a certain degree, and a after its glued together can be sanded to round off the sharp edges. The hot glue makes it go together quick. Once you get the basic shape of the Tonneau made, you can either use it as a base to lay fiberglass over, ( what I'd do) or as a buck to make a negative fiberglass mold out of.

Personally, I think you're gonna hate yourself in the morning if you go down this path,
but you're the one that has to walk it.

Anyone ever make one out of foam board (rigid insulation sheet) instead of ply or mdf ? It surely just as strong as thin wood and I assume lighter and easy to work with ? I am thinking of trying it but wanted some feedback from others if they have tried it.

How much money are we talking about saving in registering a car?

As someone who has deleted the rear seat, then reinstalled the rear seat (after having to pay and track down the hardware), I can say with certainty, the idea is terrible.
It always looks like something is missing. IMO, don't do it.
If I were to look at a fox or give advice to a friend buying one that was missing a rear seat, i'd suggest banging you $1000 on the asking price for a missing rear seat. Part of that grand is because if a person is senseless enough to delete the rear seat, what other dumb things have they done?

Anyone ever make one out of foam board (rigid insulation sheet) instead of ply or mdf ? It surely just as strong as thin wood and I assume lighter and easy to work with ? I am thinking of trying it but wanted some feedback from others if they have tried it.
The resin will eat straight through it. You'll have to cover the foam in aluminum foil before you start adding fiberglass on top.