2 Top Cobra Is Getting The Works! Need Some Help...

Essn95

Jun 21, 2017
So this coming weekend having a family member come down to help install many things on our 1995 Cobra
Here’s what we plan to do:
- Install King Cobra clutch kit and new flywheel
-Install new motor and trans mounts
- Swap TB, CAI, Aluminum Driveshaft, Hurst Shifter
- Possibly swap headers (shorties)
- Possible tranny swap if necessary
- Swap/Install Catted X pipe and SLP Loudmouth
Looking for tips on Install of these and most importantly what order would make all of these installs harmonious and as easy as possible within our time frame. Will have 3 pairs of hands on board
Looking forward to the results!!

• Sponsors(?)

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
Drop the trans and install the flywheel and clutch. You should pull the shifter prior to dropping the trans, makes it easier. Once flywheel clutch are done install the trans, bolt on the new shifter and new trans mount. Install the new driveshaft. You will already have the h pipe off (for the trans drop for the clutch install) so swap headers, then install the new x pipe. Now do the new motor mounts.

Essn95

Jun 21, 2017
Really appreciate it, thanks @Mstng93SSP
Any idea on how hard the headers will be considering the motor will be lifted for the mounts?

Essn95

Jun 21, 2017
any idea on the difficulty of swapping headers (taking off stock manifolds and after markets and reinstalling both)
Is it worth the hassle? @karthief

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
Headers are easy, especially if the h pipe is already off. Absolutely worth the effort. Stock headers are very restrictive.

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
Jul 12, 2017
For sure! Their easy even with the h pipe installed. Throw em in, might as well! Just get good gaskets and locking header bolts so you don’t have to do it twice, or having to tighten header bolts all the time.

Reactions: General karthief

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Anybody who has ever used a header gasket knows that they suck.

The single simplest thing you can use is high temp RTV. By itself.

You apply a bead to the head, wait till It skins over, then assemble the header. Tighten the thing just tight enough to make contact with the goop and let it dry for a while.

Then tighten the header and be done with it. No blown out gasket that cost 20.00.

It works Everytime I use it, and I use it on every exhaust flange the i bolt together.

Header gaskets are so........1980.

Reactions: 90sickfox

95BlueStallion

Drop into my dm’s gurrrrrl
10 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
www.goodreads.com
Anybody who has ever used a header gasket knows that they suck.

The single simplest thing you can use is high temp RTV. By itself.

You apply a bead to the head, wait till It skins over, then assemble the header. Tighten the thing just tight enough to make contact with the goop and let it dry for a while.

Then tighten the header and be done with it. No blown out gasket that cost 20.00.

It works Everytime I use it, and I use it on every exhaust flange the i bolt together.

Header gaskets are so........1980.
I considered that on my new engine, but since money just burns holes in my pocket I had to spend $50+ on the Remflex gaskets.

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
I tried every exhaust gasket on the planet..... then I just broke down and used copper high temp rtv and rid myself of the gasket issue. No leaks no problems.

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
Jul 12, 2017
I’ve never had an issue with copper gaskets, never tried rtv. This isn’t rocket science

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I've been using high temp RTV.... no problems. I also use it on every exhaust connection.... even at work. No comebacks....

Reactions: 02 281 GT

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I've been using high temp RTV.... no problems. I also use it on every exhaust connection.... even at work. No comebacks....
Which brings us back to Why you'd spend big money on a copper gasket and then have to use locking bolts, when you can spend 5 dollars on a tube of RTV and the bolts you have.

I mean...it isn't rocket science.:rolleyes: