2000 GT: Steering

Parts pile is ready. Now to find time to get this one.

IMG_5449.jpeg

Eibach pro kit with poly isos
Bilstiens (rear already installed
New front arms
Poly sway bar end links
Trans nount
Max Motorsports caster/camber plates
Poly steering rack bushings.

Also, got out and tested the brakes. If I get up to speed and then double pump the brakes a few times and then press them, I get the response I expect. That tells me it’s one of two things. Either one or both rear caliper has stuck slide pins, or I still have air somewhere. Or both.

Also, determined the limited slip is probably worn out. Was rainy so I peeled out and pretty much did a right side tire fire. Traction control light lit up, but didn’t really do anything. My guess is the issue might be that right side csliper. Hmm.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Parts pile is ready. Now to find time to get this one.

IMG_5449.jpeg

Eibach pro kit with poly isos
Bilstiens (rear already installed
New front arms
Poly sway bar end links
Trans nount
Max Motorsports caster/camber plates
Poly steering rack bushings.

Also, got out and tested the brakes. If I get up to speed and then double pump the brakes a few times and then press them, I get the response I expect. That tells me it’s one of two things. Either one or both rear caliper has stuck slide pins, or I still have air somewhere. Or both.

Also, determined the limited slip is probably worn out. Was rainy so I peeled out and pretty much did a right side tire fire. Traction control light lit up, but didn’t really do anything. My guess is the issue might be that right side csliper. Hmm.
Huh... So, it wasn't an under-glow kit after all. Color me surprised :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
improved the brakes. I bled the two ports on the MC again and that did the trick. This time, I opened both together and aggressive pumped the pedal. Guess I got some air out because pedal feel much better now. Now it actually stops!

Also, found my AC leak. Discharge line. $120 for a new Motorcraft or $35 for aftermarket. Eh…I’ll deal with it in the spring. It’s October now.

IMG_5522.jpeg

• Agree
No work done yet, just driving. It’s nearing the end of the season here. Temps are in the 40a in the am and 60s in the afternoon briefly. Getting a little chilly to drop the top, but I’m still doing it. I prob figure another 2-3 weeks and then daylight savings is in effect.

Then we can install all those lovely parts.

Also, just an observation. I remarked that the car handled like a wet noodle with the stock suspension. Taking a turn over 30mph felt like the car was going to tip over. I chalked it up to bad stocksuspension.

I’ve replaced only the rear shocks so far; because it’s so easy. In doing so, the handling on the car improved dramatically! Now I can almost whip the car into a corner and get on the gas and it stays level and actually is fun! Still the original 23 year old front struts. Can’t wait to get the springs and struts in now.

None at this time. It has the oem ford bolt-on subframes.

This car is surprisingly tight (in terms of interior rattles) as it is. It doesn’t really have the rattles you’d suspect. I’m not against adding the MM SFCs, but it’s not on the radar right now.

After the suspension work, I’m gonna focus on the interior. I’m gonna do a double din conversion with a touch screen that has Apple CarPlay, and do an 01-04 console conversion. I’ll recover the seats and NPD does have nos carpet. That might get this interior perfect again

Get that done in the winter, tint the windows in the spring and work on some paint correction and then just cruise. Gonna call it a day and enjoy driving the car. It’s been fun to drive and even the kids and wife ask to go for rides in it with the top down. I never thought I’d like convertibles…but it’s been a fun car so far

I might sell it in a year or so and get an 03/04 cobra convertible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Last few drives. Getting the itch to start putting the suspension parts in. The balljoints have me worried as all over the new edge groups, balljoint failures on these cars seem to be common. So I want to get those arms out since the boots have been torn for who knows how long.

938DCAA9-B6F4-40E5-B95C-53FC442CD0A7.jpeg

Pulled my rear seat belts out. One of them is grimey as hell so I want to try to clean it up, or replace it.

IMG_5787.jpeg

Decided to commit to the double din conversion. Starting to gather parts. I need some apple CarPlay in my life and a touchscreen. Using a Bluetooth adapter on the stock mach unit…sucks.

Picked up an 03/04 silver interior upgrade package center trim bezel.

IMG_5802.jpeg

Going to visit a junkyard next week to see if I can score a 2001-2004 center console with the upgraded cup holders and misc items like a fog light switch and see if there is a clean black trunk.

Round one of cleaning. Made an improvement on that dirty belt, but it’s still not where I want it to be.

Belts are flipped from above pic. Left one is pass side and that one is prob good to go. Drivers one seems to have had the convertible top fluid leak on it at one point. Don’t ask me how that happened but my lines weee all replaced at some point and there was evidence of a spill/leak in the past.
IMG_5808.jpeg

Dig into it.

Stopped here for the night. Debating if I’ll change the tie rod ends. These are nice and tight. Hate replacing parts for no reason..

IMG_6145.jpeg

All junk. Except the spindles of course.
IMG_6144.jpeg

• Winner
Bushing and balljoints trashed. No play on the BJ so no risk of it failing.

I see a TON of balljoint failures on the new edge forums on FB. Every week someone has one fail. Guess it’s a PSA to check your balljoints!

IMG_6141.jpeg
IMG_6146.jpeg
IMG_6147.jpeg