2001 Cobra A/c Drag

IvanP

Mar 31, 2017
I have an 01 Cobra, 81k miles. Mods are Offroad H pipe, flowmaster 40s, K&N intake and steeda springs. I feel a very noticeable difference in performance when I have the A/C turned on (usally for the GF). Ive heard 5-10 hp drain, but somtimes it feels more like 30hp. I mean it feels like I've got a trailer hooked to me at times. Any ideas on what could cause this or how I can go about fixing it, or if this is considered normal for the new edge cobras. I know its a drastically more noticeable power loss on my cobra than any other car ive owned. Thanks for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

When I had my 2003GT (purchased brand new), the power loss when the A/C clicked on was HUGE. It felt like I lost 50HP when I turned it on, and affected how I drove the car.

Amazing how far A/C compressor tech has come, because I've owned two new cars since then, and you can't feel the compressor at all. But it always amazed me at how much of a different the a/c on in my 03GT made in terms of power loss

My new-to-me '01 GT 4.6 feels like it's lost a couple of cylinder when out on the freeway on cruise control. The c/c picks it back up, the compressor drops off, and the car lurches forward as if those missing cylinders jumped back on line. Annoying!

My '02 GT doesn't do that, heck even my '99 ZX2 4 banger doesn't do that. Kinda sounds like the engine is dropping out when under the load of the A/C Compressor. First thing I always do upon purchase is do a tuneup, change air and gas filters just to get a base line and peace of mind. No CEL or codes in memory?