2002 Mustang wont go past 3000 rpm's

codyjames707

May 7, 2010
Hey! So I'm having a recent problem with my mustang. The past two days I could feel the power of the engine drastically slow down. And while driving on the freeway I tried pushing it to see what was exactly going on with the engine since no warning lights were coming up. I noticed that the RPM's were only going a little above 3,000 and I could feel the engine shake and jerk (nothing to crazy like it was falling off) it seemed like the engine was "coughing" if anything. But I tried to push it at least up to 4000 RPM's (which isn't usually a problem) and before the car hit 3500 RPM's the warning light of the engine came on and I backed off. Any ideas what is wrong and what I can do to fix this problem?? PLEEEAAAAASE HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Go to the autoparts store and have the DTC codes read. Post the codes. The codes will still be stored in memory (pending) even though the CEL is not on at the moment.

Note, when the CEL lights while under way and then goes off, most of the time this indicates MISFIRE is occuring. Start first by inspecting the ignition system (plugs and wires).

Also possible that your car is running in "limp in mode". The PCM will keep the RPM's low to avoid engine damage. However, normally if limp in mode is active, the CEL will be on.

Next, clean the MAF. Use cleaner designed for it.

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?