2011- Current V6 Mustang Good First Car?

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Short intro, I live in Toronto, ON Canada, and I'm a Jr. Financial Analyst by trade.

I'm almost 24 yrs old here, and I've managed to save up a bit of money to seriously start thinking about buying my first ride in a couple month's time.

Anyways, my current shortlist includes:
- 2012 Ford Focus Hatch SE with Sport Package
- 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatch
- 2013 Ford Fusion (Maybe)

Only test drove the Focus and the Impreza, and then I drove the Mustang... which felt like it was on another level..

I'm not sure how much my family needs another practical vehicle, but we currently have a '11 Subaru Outback, and a '98 Dodge Grand Caravan that we might need to get rid of with a new car in place. Still having a hard time convincing myself that a Mustang Coupe can be a practical, everyday all-rounder with 4 "usable" seats, especially up here in Canada, when it can snow during the most random times.

Should I stick with a practical, no-nonsense hatch? Or should I bite the bullet and spend $3k more on a base Mustang that is fast, very fun to drive, and reasonably cheap to run?

If you guys know of other good alternatives, plz let me know, as long as they aren't Civics, Elantras and Corollas!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

In terms of fuel economy, it's probably the most practical Mustang yet. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with RWD in the snow. And if you're interested in performance, that Impreza had better be a WRX, anyway.

Mustang is definitely a level up than the other cars you listed. It can be a good daily driver, as long as you have something else to drive when it snows, and when you need to carry more than 2 people. The back seat in them are tight.

Impreza Hatch would be practical and good in snow, but probably the least fun without going up to a turbo model. The Fusion would be an OK choice as well...not particularly fun, but very practical, comfortable, and roomier than the other cars you listed (My parents have a 2012).

As for alternatives, I had a decent opinion of the Mazda 3 Touring hatchback (with Skyactive) I test drove a few months ago. Not a sports car, but a nice balance and a nice choice for than segment.

Ultimately you have do decide if you want fun more than you need practicality.

I like what I'm seeing here. Great opinions guys!

I have driven a couple of '10- current Mazda 3's. They're a bit too twitchy and "unplanted" for my likes (characteristic of smaller Mazda's), although they're pretty good at carving corners. The new Impreza does feel like a pretty balanced car, and it is quite sharp in contrast to the previous model, but the 148hp engine felt totally gutless at highway speeds.

I have considered older 2004-2007 WRX's that I can spend less money and pound on, but they're like at least $50/month more to insure than a V6 'Stang, or the '12 Impreza, and their fuel economy + need to run premium fuel (about $1.50 a liter up here) will add up, and easily break the bank.

Still going strong with the new Ford Focus here, and I have considered adding a few modest mod's (i.e. cold air intake+ sway bars) to see if I can bring it up to pace.

The 2 biggest deal-breakers for me on the 'stang are the back seats (really not sure how much I'll need them), and the fact that it is rear wheel drive. Then again, we still see cops tearing up their Crown Vic's here in 6 inches of snow, but in the last two years;;; there has been barely 4 weeks worth of snowfall combined. There's still something about the 'Stang that I just can't let go of...

Speaking of which, I am a Chinese guy, and being 5 '11, I am about 3 inches taller than most of my friends :D (Dad being 5 '7, and mom 5 '3). Strangely, me and dad being 4 inches apart, share the exact same driving position in the Outback. If you guys don;t mind, will you also let me know how your friends/ relatives are coping with the back seats of your Mustangs?

my wife drives her mustang daily. keep in mind, we are both short, we are both 5'3" tall and our daughter is only 9. so the backseat is manageable for us. we went from a mini cooper convertible to this, so anything is an improvement. i have a SuperCrew f150 if we ever need more room, so the mustang is fine for us. if you want comfort, stay away from mustang. if you want shear enjoyment and smile on your face every time you get in a car, get the MUSTANG!! you will not be disappointed...

Go for another test drive with the Mustang, and take two people with you who are likely to be riding back there. ;)
I'm 5'10", and I've sat in my back seats to try them out. They're pretty comfortable, imo, but the foot room can get tight. Getting in and out of them is the tricky part!

I also have a full set of real snow tires for mine and it does just fine in the snow. :)

Go for another test drive with the Mustang, and take two people with you who are likely to be riding back there. ;)
I'm 5'10", and I've sat in my back seats to try them out. They're pretty comfortable, imo, but the foot room can get tight. Getting in and out of them is the tricky part!

I also have a full set of real snow tires for mine and it does just fine in the snow. :)

Nice, what kind of snow tires do you use? (i.e. wheel size/ tire brand), and did you have to find yourself going up inclines during snowy days?

How was the head room in the back seat? I hope your head wasn't up against the windshield :p

Still haven't managed to find a day to do another test drive;;

The snow tires are Blizzaks, I'd have to double-check the model, 245/55/18 on the stock rims. Here in Ohio there aren't hills like I had in Pittsburgh growing up, but they do well on the corners. I do know how to drive in the snow, too.
If I just sit and relax in the back it's fine, but if I stetch up tall I can touch my head on the back window. You shouldn't have a problem from the dealer with another test drive, go to a different dealer if you need to. ;)

Haven't had a chance to do another test drive yet, but alright, couple of other things are keeping me wondering..

Friends are insisting that I check out an Infiniti G35 (Coupe/ Sedan) at around 2008/2009 year models. Can you guys share your thoughts on the G?

On the other hand, I am also wondering, should I stick with a BASE no-frills Mustang? What else would I really be paying for if I get a Premium model/ something else with more options? (Didn't check under the hood of a Base Mustang, but I hope it comes with a Strut Tower too!)

Not sure how well the Mustang goes/handles on 215/17 tires, but how much of a difference do the 18 inch wheels make?

Just been wondering that a No Frills 'Stang can be had for $25k-$26k OTD with a full warranty when Ford is giving away discounts, but not sure if I want the extra luxury of owing a G;;; although it'd be a 3-4 year old car within my budget.

I had an 08 Mustang and I loved that car. Drove it through two snow storms with all season tires. It did great, just had to be careful. My thoughts on a used luxury car, I decided not to go that route. I love the raw nature of my Mustang. It will no be a luxury in any way shape or form. If you want a luxury ride go with the G35, or an Acura TSX. The Mustang is raw car, there is nothing plush about a Mustang. That is one of many things that I love about my car :)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2