210 freakin degrees!!

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
Since I installed my autometer temp. gauge, I've found that I generally run around 210 throughout the day (early in the morning around 195). That seems really hot, and probably explains why my car hates bumped timing. I have a 180* t-stat in, is there anything else I can do (relatively cheap) to make my car run cooler?

• Sponsors (?)

No your low speed fan does not come on until 210 degrees so thats why it gets that hot. I was shocked that mine did too even with a fluidyne and 180 stat. When i got my tweecer i put my fans to come on at 185 and my car never goes above that.

low and high speed fan switches might help, Chris. Now you know why i love gauges so much (you knew that from the posts on the fox side). :)

I too have been hitting 210 - the Griffin alum radiator was ordered today!

Good luck bud. :nice:

Don't worry about it...Its the norm for these cars...I did my gage and freaked at first when I hit 200...The more I ran it, the more I noticed it ran fine all the time like that...I run a stock 192 stat and radiator too...I run 14 degs with never a hint of detonation...
I may see mine go to 208 at a light idling...It run's the balls all day long like that...They like the heat I guess :D
Sometimes I turn on the fan at a light and it kicks it down 10 deg's in minutes...Then shut it off when moving again....
Mine pretty much runs a tad under 200 all the time...It doesn't even phase me anymore....

Ok, thanks for the info guys. It really puts my mind at ease. I read that post (in the 94/95 FAQ section) about the manual fan switch, but despite my high school electrician's course, I can't read a wiring schematic for the life of me. Does anybody have a simple dumb-it-down how-to for me to run a manual switch? I would like to do that this weekend maybe. Thanks again guys!

Chris

for a low speed switch: grab a switch from the parts store. find a 12 volt Key-on hot feed (like how you did your gauges; when the key is on, the wire has 12 volts. When the car is off, the wire is dead.). I mounted a switch panel in the ashtray so i used the harness for the vert top. on the 'accessory' terminal of the switch, attach a wire to run to pin 14. now you have a low speed fan switch. (You can also put a grounded wire on the ground terminal of the switch if the switch illuminates).

For high speed: find a real clean ground near your switch's location. run that to the 'power' terminal of a second switch. from the accessory terminal on the switch, run a wire to pin 17 on the CCRM. you can use LED's etc (Shane has a diagram for that), but you dont have to.

Post or PM if that was hard to follow (articulate, I am not!).

good luck bud!

Yeah wireing that is cool and all but iwould jsut leave it, Its not hurting the car and all. I am really glad i never messed with the wireing now beccause now i can set it to come on whenever i want with the tweecer. Or any tuner for that matter.

WhiteDevil said:
Yeah wireing that is cool and all but iwould jsut leave it, Its not hurting the car and all. I am really glad i never messed with the wireing now beccause now i can set it to come on whenever i want with the tweecer. Or any tuner for that matter.
This is all very true (and boy would i love to do that too - as you might have gathered from long posts with Grady and you (to a lesser extent). :) ).

But there is nothing permanent done to the wiring, and the switch(es) is/are a good idea, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, a TwEECer would be SWEET, but for the meantime........ :)

HISSIN50 said:
for a low speed switch: grab a switch from the parts store. find a 12 volt Key-on hot feed (like how you did your gauges; when the key is on, the wire has 12 volts. When the car is off, the wire is dead.). I mounted a switch panel in the ashtray so i used the harness for the vert top. on the 'accessory' terminal of the switch, attach a wire to run to pin 14. now you have a low speed fan switch. (You can also put a grounded wire on the ground terminal of the switch if the switch illuminates).

For high speed: find a real clean ground near your switch's location. run that to the 'power' terminal of a second switch. from the accessory terminal on the switch, run a wire to pin 17 on the CCRM. you can use LED's etc (Shane has a diagram for that), but you dont have to.

Post or PM if that was hard to follow (articulate, I am not!).

good luck bud!

So I'll need two switches. Low speed switch is as follows:
Power terminal: ignition-hot lead
Accessory terminal: Pin 14
Ground terminal: ground wire (I like the light-up switches :D )

The high-speed switch is as follows:
Power terminal: ground wire
Accessory terminal: Pin 17
Ground terminal: ignition-hot lead?

What is the CCRM? Is that the wiring harness for the fan? Thanks JT

EDIT: CCRM = Constant Control Relay Module, that's the thing the connector plugs into right?