• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

285/40r17 tire-What size wheel do I need?

  • Thread starter Thread starter luebben
  • Start date Start date Nov 19, 2003
L

luebben

New Member
Apr 29, 2003
48
0
0
Nov 19, 2003
#1
  • Nov 19, 2003
  • #1
I am going to purchase 285/40r17 tires for the back of my 2001 GT convertible. My two wheel options are 9" or 10.5" bullitts.. Would the tires look too big on the 9" wheels? Or would they look too narrow on the 10.5" wheels. Please help me decide. Any pictures would also help. Thanks!!!
 

Wil

New Member
Jan 2, 2003
581
0
0
Burke, VA
Nov 19, 2003
#2
  • Nov 19, 2003
  • #2
I just put 285/35 on my cobra R 18x9 and they look perfect, but that my opinion. From what I've heard, if you get 10.5 rims you should get 315's.
 

LS2 KLR

Member
Apr 16, 2003
452
0
17
Houston, TX
Nov 19, 2003
#3
  • Nov 19, 2003
  • #3
Wil said:
I just put 285/35 on my cobra R 18x9 and they look perfect, but that my opinion. From what I've heard, if you get 10.5 rims you should get 315's.
Click to expand...

I agree! I use to have 285s on stock rims and then got 9.5s and had them on the front. If you get 10.5s you definately need 315s. On 11" wide my 315s don't fit as well as I had hoped but would wrap a 10.5" better I'm sure.
 
C

cherokeet69

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2001
59
0
7
Harrison, AR.
Nov 19, 2003
#4
  • Nov 19, 2003
  • #4
Tires

Will a 335 fit on a 9.5" ????


THanks,
Cherokee
 
0

03truebluegt

Founding Member
Sep 12, 2002
833
0
0
maryland
Nov 19, 2003
#5
  • Nov 19, 2003
  • #5
cherokeet69 said:
Will a 335 fit on a 9.5" ????


THanks,
Cherokee
Click to expand...


i wouldn't do it
 
C

chevysRslow

Founding Member
Apr 23, 2002
136
0
0
Feb 15, 2004
#6
  • Feb 15, 2004
  • #6
I think 285 is a bit too much for a 9" wheel. I have 285 Kumho MX's on a 10.5" wheel and it looks good IMO. I've had 275 KDWS on the same 10.5" and it did not look good.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
380
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
178
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
B
Tire size question 1986 gt hatchback
  • B0udreaux
  • Jan 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
732
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 17, 2026
B0udreaux
B
Supercharger and What else do I need? 1990 Saleen Vert 5spd
  • AlbertaGolfer68
  • Aug 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
572
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?