295/35/18 Vs 285/40/18

Mustang922

Aug 16, 2014
Which would be a better look/performing tire? This is my summer vehicle but I was looking around at tires and 295/35's are like just a smidge taller and wider than the 285's but they're much more expensive. My question is is it that much of a difference or can I achieve the same performance and look with the 285's?

• Sponsors (?)

The width doesn't matter that much, for ease of fitment, i'd probably back it down one more step to a 275. Anything past that and you have to have the perfect offset to go with your rear axle width or else you run into rubbing. For sure with those widths you are talking about, you are rolling the fenders.

Performance is more about the tire itself than the size. A 225 drag radial would easily give more traction than a 285 all season tire.

As for looks, you don't say what height rim.

You are going to have to do some 10 inch wheel searches, realistically 10 inch wheels are too wide. They can fit, but only with undersized tires.
It comes up pretty often so you should be able to find what size tires these guys run, just expect to deal with some rubbing issues, most of which are fixable with a narrow enough tire.