3.8 swap

koty244

May 27, 2019
Ridgeley WV
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums but I've been a Foxbody fan ever since my first ride in one in highschool! So recently I was finally able to make my dream come true and acquire a Fox of my own, a '93 LX hatchback (2.3l, automatic unfortunately). Well, I went to drive to work yesterday and am 90% positive I blew the head gasket, so it's finally time to rip out the 2.3l and A4LD(correct me if I'm wrong, might be AOD) and replace it with something! I've been thinking about swapping in a New Edge/SN95 3.8l and either automatic or manual trans with it, bc it seems to be cheaper than a V8 swap and I just need something that both isn't as awful in terms of acceleration as the 2.3l and will go in easily. I have never done any engine swaps in my life, but I don't want to have to get rid of my baby as a roller so if anyone can give me any information, resources, anything on how to put a 3.8l engine+tranny into my car, I would absolutely appreciate the hell out of it. Thank you everyone for welcoming me to your forums!

Attachments

• 55451609_573982259678580_6930659189341552640_n.jpg
    55451609_573982259678580_6930659189341552640_n.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Sponsors (?)

Good looking car. Welcome to Stangnet.
I’m no expert, but you will basically be doing all the same stuff you would have to do for a V8 swap- motor mounts,cooling system, fuel lines etc. the big issue would be. Foxes did not come with a fuel injected 3.8, so there will not be a direct swap ecm or wiring harnesses to swap in. To keep the fuel injection etc you will have to use a stand alone ecm and a fancy harness. And a world of other issues related with it.
Have you considered having the 4-banger cylinder head refreshed and throwing a head gasket on it?

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums but I've been a Foxbody fan ever since my first ride in one in highschool! So recently I was finally able to make my dream come true and acquire a Fox of my own, a '93 LX hatchback (2.3l, automatic unfortunately). Well, I went to drive to work yesterday and am 90% positive I blew the head gasket, so it's finally time to rip out the 2.3l and A4LD(correct me if I'm wrong, might be AOD) and replace it with something! I've been thinking about swapping in a New Edge/SN95 3.8l and either automatic or manual trans with it, bc it seems to be cheaper than a V8 swap and I just need something that both isn't as awful in terms of acceleration as the 2.3l and will go in easily. I have never done any engine swaps in my life, but I don't want to have to get rid of my baby as a roller so if anyone can give me any information, resources, anything on how to put a 3.8l engine+tranny into my car, I would absolutely appreciate the hell out of it. Thank you everyone for welcoming me to your forums!
Yeah....big can of worms, that late model 3.8 swap. Especially since you haven't done anything like it before. The ecu, and related fuel system upgrades as stated, are the biggest obstacles you'll face. Then you'll have some metal fab work, ( trans crossmember I'd imagine) exhaust issues, and maybe a driveshaft that'll need modification.

If it were me, and I wanted to stay in my knowledge lane, I'd keep what I got...fix that head, join the turbo ranger forums and learn from them, then turbocharge that 4 banger with a Chinee turbo kit. The car will go from dead slow slug, to.......................( peppy?,.. Maybe even fun to drive?)

If the bottom end is up to it, the car will probably allow you to dump enough boost to it to bring your power up to a + 60-75% over what that poor little anemic 2.3 can grunt out naturally aspirated. It won't be as easy as that either...you'll still have to deal with fuel and maybe ecu management issues too, and there are many choices out there to deal with that.....but at least you have a working platform to start with, and most people with any degree of mechanical aptitude can install a turbo kit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
IMO, the sensible move is a v8 mass air wiring setup and a9l with an explorer engine (with a cam while it's out) and a t5.
No solution is really going to be cheap or easy, but at least the 302 was meant to go in the car.
The 3.8 will be one huge headache for what is really just another crappy engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Good looking car. Welcome to Stangnet.
I’m no expert, but you will basically be doing all the same stuff you would have to do for a V8 swap- motor mounts,cooling system, fuel lines etc. the big issue would be. Foxes did not come with a fuel injected 3.8, so there will not be a direct swap ecm or wiring harnesses to swap in. To keep the fuel injection etc you will have to use a stand alone ecm and a fancy harness. And a world of other issues related with it.
Have you considered having the 4-banger cylinder head refreshed and throwing a head gasket on it?

I think I will try to fix the engine afterall, funniest thing happened where my car acted like it was misfiring bad enough that I couldn't drive it to work the other day, now it's acting fine. I think I'm gonna try to either find out what's wrong with my engine and get a new tranny, or just swap the engine for a better condition 2.3 then turbocharge it.

IMO, the sensible move is a v8 mass air wiring setup and a9l with an explorer engine (with a cam while it's out) and a t5.
No solution is really going to be cheap or easy, but at least the 302 was meant to go in the car.
The 3.8 will be one huge headache for what is really just another crappy engine.

Thank you for the tip. I'd love to put a V8 into the car but I've got about $500 rn to fix my car with/get a new engine. As for T5, as much as I'd love to swap to standard stick shift. I'm afraid I'd turn the gears into neutrals bc I've never owned my own manual before.

Yeah....big can of worms, that late model 3.8 swap. Especially since you haven't done anything like it before. The ecu, and related fuel system upgrades as stated, are the biggest obstacles you'll face. Then you'll have some metal fab work, ( trans crossmember I'd imagine) exhaust issues, and maybe a driveshaft that'll need modification.

If it were me, and I wanted to stay in my knowledge lane, I'd keep what I got...fix that head, join the turbo ranger forums and learn from them, then turbocharge that 4 banger with a Chinee turbo kit. The car will go from dead slow slug, to.......................( peppy?,.. Maybe even fun to drive?)

If the bottom end is up to it, the car will probably allow you to dump enough boost to it to bring your power up to a + 60-75% over what that poor little anemic 2.3 can grunt out naturally aspirated. It won't be as easy as that either...you'll still have to deal with fuel and maybe ecu management issues too, and there are many choices out there to deal with that.....but at least you have a working platform to start with, and most people with any degree of mechanical aptitude can install a turbo kit.

Do you think it'd be hard to fix the engine up and put a turbo on it? Also do you have a link to pass me to the Turbo Ranger forums and would a post about a Foxbody be appropriate? I sorta thought the 2.3s in Rangers were different than the 2.3s in Foxbodies haha, but I don't know much if anything.

Do you think it'd be hard to fix the engine up and put a turbo on it? Also do you have a link to pass me to the Turbo Ranger forums and would a post about a Foxbody be appropriate? I sorta thought the 2.3s in Rangers were different than the 2.3s in Foxbodies haha, but I don't know much if anything.
Sigh...
Yes. It's a 7 out of 10 for somebody who knows what they're doing. It's not for you dude.
Walk....walk fast....run.

With a $500 budget, your options are to fix your current engine or find another one. Straying into an engine or turbo swap is going to cost quite a bit more than that.

With a $500 budget, your options are to fix your current engine or find another one. Straying into an engine or turbo swap is going to cost quite a bit more than that.
Yeah.

Even if when it rained, and turbos fell from the sky, it would be tough to accomplish with $500.

Fix the current motor if, you can for that budget, and keep enjoying the car as it is. Otherwise start saving and doing your homework. Sounds like you might be better off looking for a V8 car you can trade up to. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate them all! Found a guy about three hours away from me who has a whole rebuilt 2.3l and tranny for $200, so looks like I'm gonna try to grab those and then we'll go from there!

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users