302 Pilot Bearing size

Trent K.

Oct 21, 2019
Hermann, MO
So I'm putting a t5 in my 67 mustang coupe with a 302. The trans is out of a turbo thunderbird, and after looking at a few forums I found a pilot bearing that supposedly fit. The part number was 14650 at AutoZone. The O.D. is too large for my crank, and no there is not another pilot bearing in there, the engine was originally set up for an auto. The inside diameter of the bearing is correct however, I don't know if I should just get this bearing turned down to the right size or find a bearing that actually fits. If I get it turned down I need to know the size of the crank pilot hole, which I cannot accurately measure because I do not have a caliper to do so.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a bearing that will fit that. I will see if I can get the part number and report back.
I completely forgot to mention that with enough trips to the parts store we figured it out. We had one at first that fit the input shaft but not the crank, then one that fit the crank but not the input shaft so we asked for one with a combination of diameters and got it, the only problem is that it didn't come with packaging so we don't know what part number it was.

It will be interesting to see if this works out because the Ford Racing Parts book states Attempts should not be made to use them behind a Mustang V8 engine, so I took that as gospel.

It'll work. I have had multiple friends who have used the 4 cyl T-5's in cheap 5.0 fox body conversions and for "get by" transmissions so they could still drive factory 5.0 cars while they had their World Class T-5s repaired or needed to find another one. Will it last if he beats on it? Nope. It will do to get him on the road and last until he can upgrade later if he takes care of it though. Trent, I do recommend getting an aftermarket shifter for that thing with some stops on it and I am curious what flywheel and bellhousing are you using? What are you using for clutch linkage ?