302 Street/strip Camshaft Advice

I'm not going to get into that. I'd say send them both an email. If someone doesn't respond back, then it's their loss. I'd never give anyone money unless they send me the cam specs they want to grind first. Sometimes things get lost in translation, and you end up with a .612" lift/108 lsa cam shipped to your door.

Be prepared to have specs on hand, like manual or auto (converter if you have one), rear gear ratio, etc. I have a custom cam, and I'm happy with it. It's about $150 more than an off the shelf cam. The thing is, these custom grinders very rarely hear the words "run smoothly at idle." Most people don't go with a custom cam unless they are trying squeeze every last hp they can out of it.

If someone says they want an engine that idles as close to stock as possible, I'm going to say the AFR 165. It has a small but efficient intake cross section that keeps the air velocity high at low rpm. Match that with a Cobra style intake with long runners as well, and that's as good as it's going to get. The Cobra intake was designed to run on a stock car. You don't see Holley and Edelbrock advertising how smooth their intake idles, it's all flow rates, and how much hp they have managed to get out of it.

Kurt
I’m not sure what there is to get into. I listed facts . If Ed had answered me before I knew of Brian years ago then maybe I’d have one of his cams . He makes power sure . He’s successful no doubt . His business practices are Not for me though and that’s ok. Therefore I recommend exactly what I have experience with . Everything else you said is beyond true . The person he was referred to though asks the questions. I have seen it 100 times . Recommended multiple
People even on this forum to him . I know of atleast 3 guys that bought cams from Brian on here through me .

If it’s anyone who wants drivable stuff it’s me . I put more miles on my car in the last 2 times I have had it out then I’ve seen some guys on this forum do in a summer . So I’m the poster child of it must drive able .

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I’m not sure what there is to get into. I listed facts . If Ed had answered me before I knew of Brian years ago then maybe I’d have one of his cams . He makes power sure . He’s successful no doubt . His business practices are Not for me though and that’s ok. Therefore I recommend exactly what I have experience with . Everything else you said is beyond true . The person he was referred to though asks the questions. I have seen it 100 times . Recommended multiple
People even on this forum to him . I know of atleast 3 guys that bought cams from Brian on here through me .

Like I said, already been down that road, it was a 3 page thread that I somehow got singled out on. I said some things I shouldn't have, and I apologized for it. I'm not going to bad Mouth anyone's business unless that actually shipped me a part that didn't work, and then didn't make it right.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate the input! I’m getting the block back from the machine shop in the next few weeks. I’ll call some cam companies, get some information from them aswell.
My car is a 99 originally a 6 cyl car, 5 spd, 2.73:1 7.5" ring and pinion. I pulled a 95 ho 5.0 from a pull a part salvage yard, took it home and rebuilt it. Bottom end stock, used a ford performance x 303 cam, did a LOT of port work on the heads, comp valve springs, added a ford performance parts single plane intake, and a 650 holley ultra double pumper. Driving the car, it accelerated like a factory gt till it got to 2200 rpm ( where the powerband for the cam started ). Once 2200 rpm was reached, it was like another engine was added...breaking the rear tires loose, fishtailing, and pinning you back in the seat. The cams powerband is 2200 - 6200, and it pulled really hard through those rpms. On the drag strip ( palm beach international ) the times were not impressive due to the 2.73 gear, but it still managed a 16 flat at 82 mph finishing in 2nd gear.

I run a a 331cu with F cam and ported 185cc Flotek heads ported Tubular, 70mmTB, 373 rear, alu DS, and AOD trans with 10" TCI street Fighter converter ... MT 255/60-15 SS tires ..and Car goes easy into the 12s at street and not even reving to the possible top ...(Dragy Times)

Attachments

• IMG-20200602-WA0014[1].jpg
    IMG-20200602-WA0014[1].jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 88
I run a a 331cu with F cam and ported 185cc Flotek heads ported Tubular, 70mmTB, 373 rear, alu DS, and AOD trans with 10" TCI street Fighter converter ... MT 255/60-15 SS tires ..and Car goes easy into the 12s at street and not even reving to the possible top ...(Dragy Times)
Dang! I like that set up! So right now Im waiting on the block the get finished up. It’s going to be a 306 ported performer heads, 1.6 RRs, lunati 20350525 , Air gap intake , 670 street avenger , AOD aswell, going with an Edge converter, 3.55s in the back ... going to run 15x8 wheels in the back but no idea what tire would fit under my 65. Pretty dang excited to get it back from the shop and start getting it together. I’m really curious how it’s going to run on the track

Dang! I like that set up! So right now Im waiting on the block the get finished up. It’s going to be a 306 ported performer heads, 1.6 RRs, lunati 20350525 , Air gap intake , 670 street avenger , AOD aswell, going with an Edge converter, 3.55s in the back ... going to run 15x8 wheels in the back but no idea what tire would fit under my 65. Pretty dang excited to get it back from the shop and start getting it together. I’m really curious how it’s going to run on the track
You're gonna need more gear with that cam. Do you have a stall converter?

• Agree
Got a E cam in mine supposively. I love the lope, not too radical, but noticeable. Idles solid, super driveable. Power wise you can fill it come on at 3000 or so and pulls to 5k at least. I try not to go over 5k by much. I baby my poor old motor. Lol.

Im sure there is better cams OTS though.

I gave one away a few years ago, I would stuff a E cam in my engine just to make some around here go 'why?'.
They sound good.

Got a E cam in mine supposively. I love the lope, not too radical, but noticeable. Idles solid, super driveable. Power wise you can fill it come on at 3000 or so and pulls to 5k at least. I try not to go over 5k by much. I baby my poor old motor. Lol.

Im sure there is better cams OTS though.

I’m glad to hear someone likes the E cam! I put one in my ‘86 when the engine was out last summer, but figured I made a mistake after reading that much better cams are available. Mine is for street use only, feels strong, and I love the idle!

I'd go with the E cam over a B for a street car. I got a drive a B-cam car with GT40P's and the engine pulled hard, but not until 3000K RPM or higher.

However, that combo was pretty sweet. Bcam, GT40P, cobra intake, RR's, 65mm TB, full exhaust, and the car had 3.08's. Probably one of the more fun street combo cars I've driven.

Reactions: 1 users
It all boils down to what you want, I want low end torque so I'm going to run the p's with a stock cam and 1.7 rr and long tubes with a 3.55 gear and the tubular intake and 24 lb injectors, I'm experimenting with the 24's though.