306 or 331

Fox_84

Dec 28, 2005
About to help a friend build off his stock 302 93 block. He wants to either build a 306 or 331 for a street use, not daily driven car. Looking to hopefully have close to 400 hp, maybe more if possible. As far as cost in relation to hp gains, which would be better to build. Wanting a reliable, natural aspirated, maybe run nitrous engine. Can you all help me on the pros and cons of this build and what parts it is going to take to make either setup reach the 400 hp range. Is it possible for less money to build this engine from a 306? Please list all parts he is going to have to look into buying to reach this goal. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

if you are ordering a whole new rotating assembly then go with the 331....why not get the extra cubes. The only thing your going to have to pay more for the machining costs on the 331 because you have to notch the cylinder skirts in order for the rod bolts/studs to clear

stock block i would go with a 306! if he want a stroker he might as well get a dart block or something cause once he get used to the 400hp he will want more and more and the stock block only hold right around 500rwhp

He is not going to spend the money for a dart block, I tried to talk him into that, but I had no luck. So if I go 306 what is he going to HAVE to do to see 400 hp or better and would it be cheapest to just stroke and go 331?

I never really saw the point in stroking a stock block unless you never want more than 400rwhp. The extra money for the stroker kit then machining doesn't make sense when a stock block is a ticking time bomb above 400rwhp. All that money could go out the window in a second when you split the block. I say just run a 302 or bore it to 306 if you have to. Run a good h/c/i combo which will normally get you around 300rwhp, then spray it with a 100shot.

hence why you go with a 331.....easy to get 400rwhp

if you want to stay na....its easier to get 400rwhp out of a 331 than a 306....and 400rwhp is not in block splitting territory

It's really not that far off….and stock blocks have split with less.

If he plans on never pushing it any higher…then there is no reason worry. If however he is like the majority of us and get a bit complacent with the higher h/p levels…he'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's really not that far off….and stock blocks have split with less.

If he plans on never pushing it any higher…then there is no reason worry. If however he is like the majority of us and get a bit complacent with the higher h/p levels…he'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

my block hasnt split .....yet! 331 with tw heads and stage 3 cam on a 150 shot:D