331 List With Questions

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Ok Gents I'm going to go ahead after I get my garage done, I'm just going to do a 331. I've decided that I'm going to climb up the ladder in HP and since I want a few different cars set up different ways mechanically as well as cosmetically, I'm going to do the 331 first. I'll likely end up with 3 cars, last one being the Termi. Just a nice weekend driving streetcar for this setup

Going to re-use more than likely:

Edel performer rpm 2
TF 170's
24 lb injectors
75 mm maf
oem dizzy
shorty headers
x pipe
cold air pipe

Talking to builder last night, this is the list we came up with:

Scat 3.250 crank with 5.4 rod
Scat I beam rods

different set of polylocks for the 1.6 FR roller rockers ( Had the rockers since about 04. In 2014 and with limited miles put on since then, took heads to shop and had new springs, locks, and retainers put on due to a broken spring on no. 2 cylinder.) Just texted him as to rather new polylocks would be necessary

pistons ( he mentioned last night which ones)
6 qt Canton more than likely
28 oz balancer ( he mentioned a fluid would be excellent but just looked up prices so might not get one :). Any particular brand ?
custom grind cam that he will do
ARP main studs
157 or 164 T 28 oz flywheel????

I guess other things needed would be an oil pump
what else am I missing?
new lifters?

Labor he said would be anywhere from $7-1400 but probably more in the middle.

Anything else I'm missing or need to know, enlighten me.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok Gents I'm going to go ahead after I get my garage done, I'm just going to do a 331. I've decided that I'm going to climb up the ladder in HP and since I want a few different cars set up different ways mechanically as well as cosmetically, I'm going to do the 331 first. I'll likely end up with 3 cars, last one being the Termi. Just a nice weekend driving streetcar for this setup

Going to re-use more than likely:

Edel performer rpm 2
TF 170's
24 lb injectors
75 mm maf
oem dizzy
shorty headers
x pipe
cold air pipe

Talking to builder last night, this is the list we came up with:

Scat 3.250 crank with 5.4 rod
Scat I beam rods

different set of polylocks for the 1.6 FR roller rockers ( Had the rockers since about 04. In 2014 and with limited miles put on since then, took heads to shop and had new springs, locks, and retainers put on due to a broken spring on no. 2 cylinder.) Just texted him as to rather new polylocks would be necessary

pistons ( he mentioned last night which ones)
6 qt Canton more than likely
28 oz balancer ( he mentioned a fluid would be excellent but just looked up prices so might not get one :). Any particular brand ?
custom grind cam that he will do
ARP main studs
157 or 164 T 28 oz flywheel????

I guess other things needed would be an oil pump
what else am I missing?
new lifters?

Labor he said would be anywhere from $7-1400 but probably more in the middle.

Anything else I'm missing or need to know, enlighten me.

Go internal balance if you can over the 28oz stuff .

157t flywheel

Powerbond makes a nice sfi balancer that is just like the oem and doesn't require spacers or adapters . I run one on my car. And it won't break the bank . Pb1086ss is the p/n if I'm not mistaken .

Oil pump - unless he runs some crazy loose tolerance a melling standard volume is fine .

I run stock replacement frpp roller lifters in my motor . Makes 627 to the tire and has saw 7k a few times on the shift and never skipped a beat .

As far as cams - there are many guys out there that are good . I prefer Brian Freezy . I have his contact info somewhere if you'd like it . If you go this route he'd spec you springs locks and retainers to match the cam profile .

Ditch the canton for a moroso with the billet end rails . I have the canton and that pos leaks .

Go internal balance if you can over the 28oz stuff .

157t flywheel

Powerbond makes a nice sfi balancer that is just like the oem and doesn't require spacers or adapters . I run one on my car. And it won't break the bank . Pb1086ss is the p/n if I'm not mistaken .

Oil pump - unless he runs some crazy loose tolerance a melling standard volume is fine .

I run stock replacement frpp roller lifters in my motor . Makes 627 to the tire and has saw 7k a few times on the shift and never skipped a beat .

As far as cams - there are many guys out there that are good . I prefer Brian Freezy . I have his contact info somewhere if you'd like it . If you go this route he'd spec you springs locks and retainers to match the cam profile .

Ditch the canton for a moroso with the billet end rails . I have the canton and that pos leaks .
So going internal balance that's not a per ounce or an ounce balancer? And how much was it?

He said the Canton is much thicker then any of the other ones. Where and how specifically did yours leak?

So going internal balance that's not a per ounce or an ounce balancer? And how much was it?

He said the Canton is much thicker then any of the other ones. Where and how specifically did yours leak?

Mine seeps from the back and the corners of the rails a slight bit .

The moroso is a better pan . @srtthis can attest to that .

Internal balance cost me whatever the flywheel and balancer were . And then the labor when they machined the crank and balanced with the Mallory metal .

In the end you end up with an engine that has way better harmonics in my opinion .

I spent a little over 7k but I also built a dart block based stroker ...

Reactions: 1 user

Internal balance cost me whatever the flywheel and balancer were . And then the labor when they machined the crank and balanced with the Mallory metal .

In the end you end up with an engine that has way better harmonics in my opinion .

he mentioned that the fluid dampner was the way to go but it's more costly. Something along the lines of a much better overall balance seems like along the lines of what you just said. But that fluid dampner is definitely too costly. He's building the motor and he builds dirt cars so I trust he'll cover everything i just wanted to ask some questions here also for other's opinion.

any particular brand of flywheel

Last edited:
he mentioned that the fluid dampner was the way to go but it's more costly. Something along the lines of a much better overall balance seems like along the lines of what you just said. But that fluid dampner is definitely too costly. He's building the motor and he builds dirt cars so I trust he'll cover everything i just wanted to ask some questions here also for other's opinion.

any particular brand of flywheel

I run a ford racing billet steel . Nothing fancy

The fluid dampener is great no doubt . But eliminating 28oz of rotating mass on each side of the crank by neutral balance makes it that much better .

So neutral balance still means needing a balancer?
Yes but instead of having extra weight on each end of the crank these are neutral or as they say 0 balance. They use mallory metal and balance the crank shaft internally .

I run a ford racing neutral balance flywheel billet steel that was around 240 bucks , I run a power bond pb1086ss neutral balance sfi balancer as well. My crank is internally balanced.

Yes but instead of having extra weight on each end of the crank these are neutral or as they say 0 balance. They use mallory metal and balance the crank shaft internally .

I run a ford racing neutral balance flywheel billet steel that was around 240 bucks , I run a power bond pb1086ss neutral balance sfi balancer as well. My crank is internally balanced.
oh gotcha now. I will ask him if that's what he was talking about the other night

DiD your canton leak too?
nope never ran one... everyone i know who has had one leaked. we smashed the original moroso pan into the track at MIR and it still didnt leak.. the 2nd moroso pan never gave us an issue... we had to go to the billet fab pan when we went to the titan pump though

nope never ran one... everyone i know who has had one leaked. we smashed the original moroso pan into the track at MIR and it still didnt leak.. the 2nd moroso pan never gave us an issue... we had to go to the billet fab pan when we went to the titan pump though
ok. Just asked my boy who did a 408 if he's still running a canton and he said yes and no leak issues. But on google I see where folks have had issues with cantons leaking. Just going to read more as to why they may have had issues. Thanks for the advice though and might just go with a moroso

Reactions: 1 user
Found a thread on google that brought me back here. Appears Dynotech hasn't been on in 3 yrs. Maybe @ Rick91GT can chime in as he replied to that thread. Also what do you guys think? I just copied and pasted his reply also and my reply to that thread. It was in 2012.

1. Report
    Like + Quote Reply

2. 187752.jpg

from6to8

I had a 92 coupe w a 331... It was a wicked ride...Short block built by Keith Craft. TFTW heads, TF Stage 2 cam, TF Street heat intake, standard roller rockers, 70mm TB, 30lb injectors, upgraded fuel rails and pressure regulator, cold air intake, shorty headers w/ head wrapped tubes, under driven pullies w/ a/c delete PS delete shortbelt for race day..(this was sweet free horsepower just w a short belt easily changed at the track)... My dyno sheet was 386 hp w 376 ft lbs @ rear tires...
    Hey how's it going. I'd like you to check out this combo I plan on doing and let me know if you think it will be at the least around 350 rwhp or somewhere around 300 rwhp as one guy tried to tell me on another forum. Now, I really think he wasn't following what I was saying closely but anyway I'd like your opinion since your combo appears to be very similiar. BTW my 302 with custom cam, rpm 2 intake, TFTW 170 heads, 75 maf, 70 tb, 24 lb injects, 255 fp, shorty headers, X pipe, and a tune made 291 with 313 ft lbs of torque.

331 stroker via Scat 3.250 crank with a 5.4 rod length
    more than likely scat I beam rods
    unsure exactly which pistons yet
    custom cam ( unsure exactly which yet as the builder doesn't sell these cams he grinds himself and will shoot me the specs before he grinds, I'm guessing he grind for customers but specifics)
    ARP main studs
    Edelbrock performer rpm 2 intake
    TFTW 170 cc heads 61 cc but was milled down to avoid needing an O-ring head gasket so not 61 anymore
    30 lb EV6 4 hole injectors
    75 mm maf
    70 tb
    Mac shorties
    Basani X pipe with 2 chamber flows
    255 lb hr fuel pump

custom tune

Car will be just a weekend driving streetcar, No track. I have a 302 now with some of the things listed already and want to reuse most of them.