350 sbc in a 78 mustang 2

Koelber93

May 5, 2020
Michigan
Hi, I’m getting ready to drop a 350 sbc with a 350 trans in my 78 mustang 2 and I just need a little insight on how to accomplish it. Has anyone ever done it? And for you nay sayers out there IM DOING A CHEVY POWER PLANT I have absolutely no interest in going with Ford. So any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 9465042E-EDF3-4282-88D1-80090EA155EB.jpeg
    9465042E-EDF3-4282-88D1-80090EA155EB.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 139
  • CCB1057D-F880-43B0-AB57-E5B0A4F8E67B.jpeg
    CCB1057D-F880-43B0-AB57-E5B0A4F8E67B.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 130
  • Sponsors (?)

I mean, if you're going to build a bastard, might as well do it right.

Yes, it's been done, I've seen one personally years ago. I'd imagine dropping a SBC in a II will be about the same as dropping a SBC in about everything else, fab your mounts and go from there. That's really about the only advice I can give as I stuck with a purebred pony. :shrug:

One thing is in your favour. Chevys are usually rear sump which means engine set back.. The fords sit too far forward in the engine compartment in my opinion...however dist at rear in Chev means possible firewall mods.
Chevy's are shorter and wider so headers will be problematic as it's pretty narrow in there, but rad and fan clearance will be no problem.
Should be fairly easy for someone who has equipment like mig, cutting tools etc., and can fab and weld and make their own headers and engine, trans mounts etc..
Not a nay sayer, but a chevy put in a II seems like a lot of work for no apparent gain.. If it is what you have to work with for power I get it, but it will be a bunch more work for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a nay sayer, but a chevy put in a II seems like a lot of work for no apparent gain.. If it is what you have to work with for power I get it, but it will be a bunch more work for sure.
This.

So much this.

If it was an LS motor, I'd not only understand, I'd be on board.

I've been on record as saying LS swaps just make too much sense in virtually any car to not like them, and even gone as far to say that if the GMC I had with one was ever totalled, it'd be donating it's 4.8L LS to the II.

An old Chevy 350 though? What? The salvage yard was out of Mopar 360s? There's just no point.

Still wanna do it?

Short version:

Motor plates: make it easy on yourself. Oil filter relocation kit (trust me here). Cut the tunnel and weld in new floor to clear your transmission. Find a front sump pan and pickup or be prepared to do some funky fabrication to make a rear sump fit. Log-style manifolds from an old 327-tall-deck from a school bus or dump truck, or have custom headers welded up. Mock up some radiator hoses using pre-heater tubes and take those to the parts store with you to match it up.

That's engine swap science 101, I don't have a long version, you'll have to write that as you go along.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users