351 Cleveland swapped MII

They make rack extenders that would probably get you there.
Yep. I did see those when researching a hot rod thread where a guy installed MIi rack and pinion in his Chevy truck. So getting the additional 1” on the passengers side to correct the pivot pint will be easy. But how do I remove 1” from the drivers side? I don’t see where I can remove anything from the factory inner rack shaft. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

You could install a 2" extender on the passenger side to equalize the distances. :shrug:

As far as shortening them, I know my inner tie rods have plenty of threads where I could cut them down to make them work if the tie rod end didn't work out.

Last edited:
My thought is to use offset bushings to create this angle. By clocking the front and rear offset bushing 180 degrees from each other (front down, back up) then drilling the middle out to create a smooth consistent hole, this would rotate the rack slightly back causing the rack steering shaft to move at a more downward angle. This would create the most clearance. But I obviously am limited by how much I can rotate it to not put the shaft at too extreme of an angle. I just haven’t found anywhere online where anyone else has done this. So I’m questioning if there is a reason no one has done it. Will it cause any steering issues.
I see no issue from an engineering point of view, because you have spherical bearings on the rack.
If you look to all the aftermarket k-members for Mustang II front suspension swaps, you will see, that most of them have mounting tabs for the steering rack that are in an angle (so it is a common solution):
M2-coilover-end-.jpg

I did a mock up using some 5/8” all thread. I bent the all thread at angle. Inserted the straight end through the cross member and mounted my rack to the angled end. This gave me plenty of clearance for the steering shaft. It obviously put the joint of the steering shaft at a sharper angle, but doesn’t seem so bad that it’s not workable. The steering wheel turns smoothly with no binding that I can feel. So now I currently have headers bolted in and a functioning steering.

I had to cut a pretty good section of the passenger frame rail out. So now the engine needs to come back out and weld up and reinforce that section of frame rail. Once that is done, I’ll finally be to the point of starting this thing.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Engine is back out and time to reinforce where I had to cut for header clearance. Drivers side is very minimal so that is where I am starting. Have to reroute the brake lines because they originally ran right next to the header.
IMG_1515.jpeg

Brake lines are now done. Just need to clean up the cuts and put new metal back in. Will most likely go with a piece of angle to fill the gap. This side I’m not too worried about because the amount of cutting needed for clearance was minimal. Passenger side is a different story. But I’ll get this side done and then worry about the passenger side.