351C in a 67 Mustang Question

geo67stang

Jan 30, 2009
Souderton PA
I just bought a 67 mustang project car. I was offered a 351C with a top loader 4 speed. The car now has a 289 / c4 trans.Will it fit and is there a site where to find all the information on the swap.Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• mustang2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 116
It will fit, it bolts in using the same motor mounts since it is the same bell housing as the one you are taking out. You can bolt it right up to the existing auto in the car or invest more in doing the stick conversion.

351c

I ran a 351c in my 67 for about 10 years. No mods needed. The longtube headers were a real headache though. I had Hookers which at the time were the only ones available for the 2v Aussie heads. They scraped on most driveways and eventually crushed the tubes. Changing plugs is a couple of an hour affair also. I have since swiched to a Paxton supercharged 302 and love it.

Sounds to me like Hooker copied the FE headers for these cars in designing the Cleveland headers. Same story with my 67 with a 390 and 427.

When I found the headers I have I didn't think they were for a Mustang because the tubes were so long and snaked all over the place. There was a '67 Cougar in the shop at the time with no engine so I mocked it up, and it fit perfectly down to the previous owner's dings in the tubes to clear some components.