3G alternator getting too hot!?

UnderdogGN

May 7, 2006
Got a weird question for you guys.
It seems to me my 3G alternator is getting kind of hot.
I finished up the alternator swap a couple weeks back and the alternator took a crap later that day. I was sent a brand new one. As soon as i finished i started it up and let it idle for a few minutes and then shut it off. Five minutes later i touched my alternator and it seemed like it was really warm. I dont think it should be like that????

Anyway, i found a difference in the 3G wiring insturctions from this site, and the instructions i used that came with the kit.

The factory plug that i cut that has the two orange/black wires, are they not to be used? or should they be bolted on the back of the alternator stud along with the 4gauge power wire? The insturctions that came with my kit (ebay kit) says they should be on the back of the alternator, and stangnet write ups say they should be taped up and tucked away (not used at all)

Could this be the cause of my alternator getting hot?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

the stator wire is the white one, right? Yes i have done that.
Someone told me that PA performance said its ok if the 2 orange/black wires are connected??? So it doesnt matter or what? im confused lol

the orange wires are the old power wires...they cannot handle the current that the new alternator puts out...thats why you ran the new larger wire...you do not want to hook them back up because they will increase the resistance on the alternator and overheat it like you are stating... if you simply disconnect the plug from the alternator and tape it up you should be fine...

jim

if it is overheating you have a short!!! check all your connections and make sure that they are tight immediately! I had a 3g catch fire due to a wire that had worked loose. it took half the wiring on that side of the engine bay with it.

if it is overheating you have a short!!! check all your connections and make sure that they are tight immediately! I had a 3g catch fire due to a wire that had worked loose. it took half the wiring on that side of the engine bay with it.

:eek: :eek:

*scribbles down reminder to double-check 3G when I get home*

did you uprgade the ground wire?
get a wire brush and scrape the metal clean where you are grounding your alt, then bolt the wire back down. there may be some paint or dirt keeping you from making good contact.

I dont think its grounded at all actually...
Where should the ground wire be at?
When i took the stock alt off, i dont remember it having a seperate ground wire either?
Anyone have a picture i could look at?
thanks

Ok i think i figured it out. The ground that i need is another engine ground. I was thinking there was some ground wire coming off of the alternator that i missed.
So i will run another engine ground and see what happens.

If the alt is chromed or powdercoated, that can be an issue for two reasons. There are heat retention issues and the ground pathway for the alt (which is indeed grounded through its connection to the engine). One has to remove the coating at the mounting boss ears so the alt isnt insulated from the rest of the engine.

Otherwise, I like the loose connection idea. Loose connections = resistance, which = heat, which = mre resistance. It's a recursive pathway.

Having the OEM charge wires connected in parallel with the aftermarket charge cable should not cause your issue. The concern for these wires is if the [new] main charge cable has a problem and they try to handle the 3G load.

Good luck.

I'm sure you know this but unless your OEM grounds are deficient, I would not expect the addition of an extra ground to fix this situation. It is a great idea however.

I ran 4g cable from the ground post on the starter solenoid to the fender wall and then another cable from there to the bottom of the engine block.

the ALT will always be warm..specially around the Regulator are...the extra volts being absorbed by the regulator create HEAT.....it grounds out through your bracket which is grounded to car by the wire coming off the bellhousing to firewall.....if ground was your issue you would know it by other charging/running issues...just my .02

Ok, i added another engine ground. Even if its not needed, it wont hurt anything. The alternator must be good because it came with a test sheet and everything, plus this is my second one. Maybe its supposed to get that warm and i over reacted lol.