4.6 help in my T-Bird

98V6 K.I.T.T.

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2001
Everett, Washington
Hey guys, I'm not the best when it comes to troubleshooting, so maybe you can help me. I picked up a 95 4.6 T-bird about a year back, and decided that I just want to restore it the best I can for as little cash and sell it.

Anyways....I know that it needs a good tune up, however the only major concern I have is that when I start it up it runs alittle rough..but not horribly, when I would put it in Reverse or Drive the RPM's drop and the car dies, for awhile if I let the car warm up for a pretty long time 15 minutes and do the same it would just barely keep an idle. Once I gave it some gas and the car starts going more then 5-10 miles it drives wonderful, tranny shifts fine. I'm more curious to know if this is a good sign the tranny is ready to go, I think it has 120K~ miles on it which wouldn't be too weird, but I don't want to replace the tranny. I'm hoping maybe it just needs a tranny flush or the tune up would help it. I got it for way less then it's worth and just want to get it in good shape so I can sell and get rid of it. I currently have 4 cars and need more room.

• Sponsors (?)