4-link, 3-link or leaf?

• Sponsors (?)

Rear suspension confusion

I'm in the same quandry for the same reasons, so I just finished reading Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams. I couldn't make heads or tails of all the differing opinions, so I decided instead to educate myself on the fundamentals of WHY different systems work and what the compromises are with each system. It sounds like you're on the right track (from my still rudimentary understanding). I'd like to get rid of some weight rather than add it, so I'm leaning toward the 3 link since I don't mind the fab work.

I'm in the same quandry for the same reasons, so I just finished reading Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams. I couldn't make heads or tails of all the differing opinions, so I decided instead to educate myself on the fundamentals of WHY different systems work and what the compromises are with each system. It sounds like you're on the right track (from my still rudimentary understanding). I'd like to get rid of some weight rather than add it, so I'm leaning toward the 3 link since I don't mind the fab work.

Thats a good starter book!

My 3-link saved about 15 lbs. So I went from ~75lbs with leafs to ~60. But I lost a lot of unsprung weight.

If you dont need the tire clearance I would stay with leafs and add a watts link. Maybe swith the leafs to fierglass and add a sperical bearing in the front eye and use some type of traction bar or a thicker front half of the spring.

I know the original post is 8 years old. As people probably still read this I thought I would add something for their benefit. 1979-2004 Mustangs came with 4 link rears. 2005-2015 3 link and 2015 up IRS. So if you have had the opportunity to drive some of these vehicles it will give you an idea of what those systems were like on those vehicles. Might help others decide. You can also look up how they launch at the drag strip through you tube etc.