408 high reving engine w/juice possible 10's?

jhop1

Oct 25, 2003
I want to get a coast high performance shortblock, with some AFR 225's and with compcams 305H magnum camshaft, stallion 3600 stall, 4.11's with a mini spool, victor jr intake, speed demon 850, hooker super comp headers, with dr gas 3" exaust.

My question is do you think this setup will run low 11's or high 10's, and when I goto the track, im going to spray 150 - 200 shot of juice so that will deff get me there.

But how much power am i looking at N/A with that setup and do you have any suggestions. Also will it be streetable.

Also I have another motor that im swaping some parts out on making it faster, my 289 that I have in the car right now, puts out about 270fwhp and 295fwtq, it has march pulleys, weiand stealth intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, 3.55 gears, tri-y headers, dual flowmaster exaust.

How much power would it bump up if i but some trickflow tw heads, because right now It has stock ones, also changing the cam to compcams XE274H and putting a victor jr intake on it. Then a 100 shot of juice for the track. How much would I up the power and tq N/A and how much would I up it total with the juice?

• Sponsors (?)

It should run 10s easy if you can hook up. My friend's 93 coupe with an EFI 351 runs 11.4s and it is a rather mild engine by comparison. I think you might need to speak to a custom torque converter manufacturer and get their recommendations becuase that might not be enough converter.....but I'm no expert here so call someone reputable.

Sounds like too much gear and converter to me. I'm guessing about 7k through the traps with a 28 inch slick. There are also alot better cams out there if it is not too late. That combo will destroy an 8 inch.

brianj5600 said:
Sounds like too much gear and converter to me. I'm guessing about 7k through the traps with a 28 inch slick. There are also alot better cams out there if it is not too late.

Hard to say on that one....my 408c made its peaks power at 7k so crossing the line at 7k would be ideal for me and I run a 4.11 with a 26 inch tire...since I blew the tranny I don't have any 1/4 clicks yet so concrete analysis will have to wait.

As for the cam....I agree totally...you will want a custom cam for this application IMO. You have a stroker motor so any stock off the shelf cam is going to be nothing more than a guess as to how it will perform in your application. With the larger cubes and freeing breathing, a normally large cam can often times run very mellow. I had that problem with my first cam pick for my stroker...ended up with 300 RWHP and no lope at idle at all...and it would have been considered a large cam in a stock 351c....my second cam I went custom...got that little lope at Idle I wanted and 400 RWHP like which is what I wanted too.

AS for running on the juice....this might actually hinder your N/A performance a bit since you will want to keep the compression down a little bit so you can spray without fear of detonation. Unless of course you plan to only use NOS when you are running Race gas.....but for a car that you want to use on the street and strip you need to be honest with yourself..are you a punk that would use NOS on the highway because some ricer baited you? or do you have enough self control to leave it on the track? The reason I ask is simple...if you build your stroker with 10.5-11:1 and say "I'll only be using NOS on the track with race gas" that great...but if you try to use it on pump gas you will be suprised at the results.

I think his combo will make atleast what yours is. Then you add 150 to 200 hp of N2O. With a tc that loose, slippage I'm guessing around 10% or more. 3300# car with 700fwhp = 550rwhp = 130mph = 6400 rpm + 640rpm coverter slippage = 7040 rpm with a 28 inch tire. That combo should easily make those #s with N2O and rwhp #, and weight may be a little conservative. I think it is a little overkill for high 11's or low 10's. That combo could do those time w/o a bottle. Then the gear and tc would be right. Don't listen to me I am no expert. Talk to an engine builder, not joe's machine shop, I'm guessing maybe a super victor with those heads and cubes.