Fox 418w Build Questions, Hp Guesses

corey peacock

Feb 14, 2016
Hey whatsup guys,Im new to the forums here, but not new to stangs. I have a new build in mind. looking to go 418w, afr 225's, eagle competition rotating assembly(unless someone can suggest a known better rotating assembly) flat tops,14:1-15:1 cr, comp cams 318dr solid roller camshaft,jesel shaft rockers. Will be a strip nitrous motor. Dont know which block to go with(definitely not a stock block),curious about the Dart shp blocks and what their limits are, as well as the iron eagle blocks. Obviously will be using race fuel, dont know if I should go carb or fuel injected with engine management. Opinions would be great and Im open to suggestions let me know what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't know that particular cams specs. Few observations though. First one is a statement/question...flat tops aren't going to reach that level compression...more like 12:1...so what brand are you going with? You're going to need some custom domed Pistons for 14-15:1cr. Eagle assemblies need a lot of machine work to get them to balance out. I recommend scat instead of if you want to spend some money Callies rods and crank.

The dart shp blocks are good to around 1000hp. No need for an iron eagle. Use a big bore(4.125+") it will unshroud the valves and those blocks can go out to 4.185". So you will have room for a rebore later if needed. I would go 4.125x4.00" stroke=428"

AFR 225 heads...are these the new castings or the older ones? The newer style flow more air. Both use a special header (if memory serves the exhaust ports are raised). Make sure the springs are up for the cams profile.

I'd use a 4500 series carb or a carb style throttle body. Super Vic or a 2828 intake should be used. If going efi I highly recommend using the Holley Dominator ecu system. The fuel system-efi is going to be expensive if you haven't price it out. I would go carb. Just to save a few thousand $$.

This combo would make 7-800hp n/a and be capable of mid to high 9's. With a nitrous kit on top of that...8's are possible. This will all depend on the rest of the car.

You're right I didnt even consider the lack of cc's from the flat tops to get me to 15:1. I will be contacting callies and see what they can put together for me for a rotating assembly and see if they can recommend a piston to suit the application. The heads I am looking at are actually 220's I thought they were 225's. They are the renegade 20 degree competition 220 from afr. I think I might be better off buying them bare,as the assembled heads come with springs rated for a max lift of .710,The specs on the camshaft I picked are 282/300 @ .050 and .744/.731 lift @ valve which would exceed the specs of the assembled afr's. I think this ones going to be a carb setup with a plate to keep things simple and save some money for machine work and odds and ends like hardware,oil pan,oil pump etc. Thankyou for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Check out fordstrokers.com. Jim Woods is the owner. He can set you right up! He deals with the dart blocks,Callies,wiseco pistons(and other brands). Only problem is he's usually stacked with work and it usually takes a few months. Call him and he will answer any questions you may have. Has an excellent reputation.

The SHP block will hold all the horsepower you want to make but the thing to think about is the lifter area. The sportsman and iron eagle blocks have more material in the lifter bore area which will make the valvetrain more stable if you are looking to get aggressive. If you havent bought any parts yet id suggest looking into a high port or a edelbrock 7721 cylinder head. 2828 intake is what i would go with also, dont bother with the SV, 4150 flange will be a restriction.

Reactions: 1 users