• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

429 fast back

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mickie_6TH_GeaR
  • Start date Start date Nov 18, 2004
M

Mickie_6TH_GeaR

New Member
Jul 20, 2004
3
0
0
Az Babby
Nov 18, 2004
#1
  • Nov 18, 2004
  • #1
Hey all, the new guy needs help. Just got me a 68' fastback w/ the 289 in it. Good motor i hear, but im a power guy, 289 aint cutting it for me. y uncles hooking me up with a 70' ( we think) 429 out of a t bird. We want to throw it in the fastback. I know people have done it before, which gives me hope, but what i want to kno is what kind of frame mods they did to keep the frame from twisting under acceleration. I know the rails need to be welded togather, i was planning n using the Total Control Products x brace designe connector, It's supposed to get a lot of strenthand ridigity but i dont know if thats gonna cut it with this motor. Also ya'll suggest ditching the stock drive shaft and rear differential for stronger ones? Please anyone feel free to recomend anyhting. Thanks! ok thats cool -->
 

jmagilto

New Member
Aug 14, 2003
19
0
1
Nov 19, 2004
#2
  • Nov 19, 2004
  • #2
I am not trying to rain on your parade here....

If you are just throwing in a tired old nag out of a t-bird the car is gonna be pretty quick but you are in no danger of twisting a solid stock car. I did just that with a '69 t-bird 429 in a 67 coupe w/ a C6. I ran just an export brace, montecarlo bar and shelby underrides and a trac-lok. no other mods - worked great. ran low 13's. I Beat the living crap out of it for years and then threw it away. I don't think I spent more than 5k on the thing the whole time I owned it ('85-'87). Cheap Speed. Weeeee.

Now if you build up the 429, then you likely will want to consider the TCP stage1 and stage2 subframe connectors - and - depending on how radical of a build you choose - you may even be required to have a cage to run it at a track.

On another note, I am older now - and a little wiser. A really nice small block build will give you the speed of the 429 w/o the weight or the heat. I do remember though the little shiver I would get everytime I opened that hood to see the valve covers tower over the master cylinder.

God I loved that car.......
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 19, 2004
#3
  • Nov 19, 2004
  • #3
More to it than just "throwing" the 429 in there. One of the other guys here has a 67 with a 429. If you really want the power, wow factor and a simple swap, then go with a 351 Cleveland ( or a stroker Cleveland) Even a stroker 5.0 based motor will get you the power that a stock 429 had now a days. I'm running a 331 -six pack stroker in an 89 Ranger which runs the 1/4 mile as fast as my old 67 fastbacked 427 Stang did 20 years ago.
 
6

67GTA-FB429

Member
Dec 15, 2003
777
0
16
Tri-Cities, Wa
Nov 19, 2004
#4
  • Nov 19, 2004
  • #4
I have what you are talking about. You won't tear the frame up. I have weld-in subframes from comp engineering. You better like working on cars though if you do that switch because engine work is a PITA.
 

65fastback2+2

New Member
Aug 4, 2003
1,229
0
0
Louisville, KY
Nov 19, 2004
#5
  • Nov 19, 2004
  • #5
D.Hearne said:
More to it than just "throwing" the 429 in there. One of the other guys here has a 67 with a 429. If you really want the power, wow factor and a simple swap, then go with a 351 Cleveland ( or a stroker Cleveland) Even a stroker 5.0 based motor will get you the power that a stock 429 had now a days. I'm running a 331 -six pack stroker in an 89 Ranger which runs the 1/4 mile as fast as my old 67 fastbacked 427 Stang did 20 years ago.
Click to expand...

im with d.hearne, do a supercharged 331 stroker roller 5.0 with a tremec tko II T5
 
6

67GTA-FB429

Member
Dec 15, 2003
777
0
16
Tri-Cities, Wa
Nov 19, 2004
#6
  • Nov 19, 2004
  • #6
In terms of ease of fitment...331 with a blower!! But I am wondering what the cost on that build up is?
 
M

Mickie_6TH_GeaR

New Member
Jul 20, 2004
3
0
0
Az Babby
Nov 19, 2004
#7
  • Nov 19, 2004
  • #7
Thanks

thanks guys now with some fresh ideas i got other options to check out
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Intro and FB questions
  • gflat65
  • Nov 16, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
250
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Nov 25, 2025
horse sence
Place to Avoid: Jamison Auto Group in Gulfport, MS
  • D Durden
  • Oct 20, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
46
Views
3K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 16, 2026
Noobz347
S
Fox New to me 82 GT
  • Stangman7082
  • Jan 20, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
41
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 18, 2025
AeroCoupe
J
Progress Thread Family member 1989 GT- Backstory and updates
  • JRC99
  • Apr 19, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 26, 2025
JRC99
J
So confirming what I need to do to put a '88 CV 302/AOD in my '65 A-code.
  • 1320stang
  • Apr 19, 2023
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2023
1320stang
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?