Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

20200816_195059.jpg

stuck the hood on fenders are only on loose and not aligned, but I had to see what front bumper looked like. It seems more tucked than a mid tuck to me but not bad.
20200816_195137.jpg

Got hood to clear air cleaner just barely. Now I have to trim and modify scoop to bolt on to hood. I will have a bit of work ahead of me on that one because the scoop I got only comes as a bare shell, no inner structure to it so I will have to make all that. hood fits ok for a glass hood. The right side rear is up a bit high, but the nice thing about fibreglass is its easy to fix just itchy.
Mid tuck bumper said it was 3 1/2 tuck so I re-drilled the mount holes on the rams to move 3 1/2 inches back, Almost looks like it went back too far? It doesn't look bad though. For now I used the old rams and the old re-bar to mock up, but I will be replacing with aluminum versions for permanent mounting.
I was going to put the stock bumper strips back, but my wife had a better idea I may investigate. She said to get some plain black strip instead of the striped stuff for a cleaner look. We will see....

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow bumpers are really tucked in.
I like it
I also like the black strip idea.
Still hard to believe that big engine is in there.:banana::nice::nice::banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Wow bumpers are really tucked in.
I like it
I also like the black strip idea.
Still hard to believe that big engine is in there.:banana::nice::nice::banana:
If you look in the first picture you can see the air cleaner. That is a 14x3" air cleaner with about a 1" drop (and the multi mods I have done to it.) but it only ends up sticking through by the amount you see there which isn't really that bad. I'm convinced that Sudden Death could not run an air cleaner based on how low and small the scoop is.The air cleaner they had must have been just for covering up the carb hole when they weren't running it.

So, We finally got ya to admit it eh? All those hearts broken. All those toys never made. Just so your hood scoop stays on? We knew. We knew it all along!!! Your the reason Santa don't come 'round here no more! You stole his elves! For a damn hood scoop!

ohhhkayyy......spoiler installed pic. not very interesting stuff. It is just sitting on there with two nuts, the end caps are just shoved in with no nuts. Picked up the metal I need to install my fibreglass bumpers. Need to section the rear, because as received is a half inch wider than original bumper and kind of warped...so will need to section and re-glass in two planes...yippee..

20200918_135058.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
20200924_100410.jpg
20200924_100431.jpg

Aeromotive fuel tank arrived. It is same size as 65 to 68 mustang so drops right in. Built in 340 lph pump. I wanted a quiet fuel pump so in-tank was a must. Also this is the only one that does not have the fuel outlets and electrical connections on top, which is what I need since this is the floor of my hatch area, so only exposed fuel connection is the filler spout and that is the same as a stock early mustang. It has a built in sender also. All I need is regulators, lines and filters to complete. I got it for 511 dollars which for the 340 mph I think is a screaming good deal. Aeromotive says good for 850 hp fuel injection so should be more than ample for my little engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Rear bumper brackets fabbed and fibreglass bumper installed. There are two rivets visible on each side, but those just held the brackets in position to be glassed. They are now glassed from the inside so I can grind off those rivet heads when finishing the outside. The bumper has a slight outward twist to it on the bottom that is not really evident in the picture, but I may have to slice and dice as it kinda bugs me. I am now wrestling with whether or not to replace the front bumper rebar and brackets with lighter components or simply use them with the fibreglass cover as it is mocked now. There would be a big weight savings as the actual urethane part of the bumper doesn't actually weigh much and that is actually all I have replaced so far. My urethane was all in really good condition as well, so to take advantage of the use of glass bumpers I really have to make all new brackets as I did in the rear.
20200927_132710.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I took out the rubber boot filled in inner fuel tank hole in inner fender yesterday. Welded in a piece and seam sealed on both sides. Today I will weld in the outer qtr panel patch to fill in that hole. I think I solved the filler neck to fuel tank dilemma. I ordered a 45 degree fuel hose and cobbled up a filler neck that will work. The angles were tough to maintain a correct (not uphill) fill angle, and a safe connection. I am planning a metal cover for the hose/pipe area in the back to work with the existing plastic inner panel to make a sealed environment and a pleasing appearance.
Pics to follow.....

Reactions: 3 users
ok sorry for the no pics yet but man I am battling qtr panel warpage that is driving me nuts. I have done lots of panel repair and replacement and I have never seen this much panel warp from one small patch for the filler hole. I have literally beat the crap out of the welds and they still have a low spot on the qtr. Not sure why this is such a pain.

• Dislike
Turns out my welder was the issue with putting too much heat in the panel. The wire feed drive wheel had come loose a tiny bit and the wire popped out of it's serrated groove and was being driven by the smooth part of the wheel so it was moving the wire still but way too slow. So now the damage is done on that panel, but at least I found the problem. It explains a lot on some of the welds I was doing there was a lot of burn through and It just didn't make sense. I was blaming my welding skill and as it turns out it was equipment malfunction. If I would have noticed it sooner I would not be dealing with a warped panel now.

• Sad
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users