4cyl Swap Question (Rearend and control Arms)

UpRise_5.0

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Canada
Hey,

I might be purchasing a rolling 4cyl Coupe.

They did the 5.0 Swap, but then ended up pulling out the engine/exhuast/tranny/ds/and other small parts.

But it has the 8.8 rearend in it, as well as the 92 harness and computer.

Now my question is can you run a 8.8 mustang rearend on the 4cyl control arms or whould they have to have swapped the 5.0 control arms on for the 8.8 to work? Just wondering if they left the 4cyl control arms on or not.

On a side note how can I check if they swapped the front brakes/spindles, and well as the shocks and sturts?

• Sponsors (?)

the control arms are the same i believe.. the sway bar might be different tho. the easiest way to tell if you have 4 cyl brakes up front is to check for a banjo bolt, if there isnt one, they are 4 cyl brakes. not sure bout the shocks/struts, prolly the same or you should just replace them anyway, kyb;s are good and cheap.

Rear Control Arms--- are the same on the 2.3L and the 5.0L. However I would replace them with Mega Bite Jr's because the stockers probably have rotted bushings.

Spindles---OK..the smallest wheel a 5.0L spindle will accept is a 15". So if 14" wheels fit on your spindles then they did not swap the spindles. This is because the brakes on a 5.0L will hit the 14" wheel..they will clear a 15-18".

Front Lowers and Front Struts---Unfortanately you will not be able to tell if they swapped them..they are exactly the same shape and size, but the bushings in the arms will be stiffer in the 5.0L arms than in the 2.3L arms. The struts will be stiffer in the 5.0L than the 2.3L. Since the struts are old you prolly can't tell a difference now...I would replace those too.

Springs---are noticeably stiffer while riding, and are visibly thicker when comparing the two next to each other. Springs from a 2.3L in a 5.0L will be good for drag racers..that was the old school and cheap way to get better wait to transfer to the back.

Hope this helps..See ya ask more if you need to. :spot:

Yeah the 15" will fit the 2.3L spindles and brakes and the 5.0L spindles and brakes. The true test will be fitting a 14" wheel on the there. If the 14" fit than they are 2.3L spindles and brakes...if they hit the calipers and won't clear..then you have the 5.0L brakes and spindles.

Oh yeah, and the 5.0L springs are the stiffer and thicker ones.