4R70W 1-2 weird Shifting Sound

Hakeem

Jul 14, 2014
Hi ALL,

Sorry I didnt know where to post my thread. I posted it here.

I have 1967 Mustang Coupe that I recently finished building. I am using 2014 Coyote with AEM 7-siries. 4R70W transmission with Simple Shift ecu, tourqe converter came with transmission Advertised Flash Stall Rating: 2,200-2,400 rpm , it was a package bought from Performance Automatic. All parts are purchased new.

I want to ask a bout an issue with shifting. When Shifting from 1-2 gear there is a noise coming from transmission. its like the plates inside are forced into place. the sound is fast ticking noise while its shifting trying to force plates into grooves (this is what I think). I noticed that when I release gas pedal just before shifting from 1-2 this noise doesnt come and it will be smooth shifting. Also when deceleration and transmission shifting from 2-1 and sometimes from 3-2 by itself (gas pedal released) more often I hear a big clunk noise.

Any Idea? or how should I test this?

Thanks
Hakeem

• Sponsors (?)

There is supposed to be a spring clip that holds the interm clutch stack to prevent that noise. The clip goes between the clutch stack and the case. If they forgot to put it in that might be the noise you are talking about.